4 replies to this topic

#1 bible4all

bible4all

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

Our organization promotes Bible translation around the world. I use and enjoy Accordance for my study, but would like an easier way to import user Bibles in USFM format. For those of us in the translation, USFM is the standard for literally thousands of translations that are either finished or in process. Recently, a number of open-source Bibles have been created and available through sites such as http://ebible.org and http://openenglishbible.org.​ I expect these resources to continue to increase, and they are all in USFM.

From all I have been able to gather on the forum, it is only possible to import a text file. The amount of editing it takes to convert USFM to the proper Accordance format is daunting. Since USFM is such a significant format, are there any plans to make it possible to import USFM texts in the future?

• EricC and Timothy Jenney like this

#2 EricC

EricC

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

+1 (or as many votes as I'm allowed to cast)

#3 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

The amount of editing it takes to convert USFM to the proper Accordance format is daunting. 

I scanned the markup of a file, and it doesn't look that daunting. Stripping the poetry markup in no biggie. The whole thing can't be done, though, with a series of 'replace all' searches, because there's need for some intelligence in copying over chapter references, etc. 

If I get a slow patch in a month, I can do one.

Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#4 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:57 PM

Well, looked at the docs, and see how daunting it could be.

Problem is, it is not a markup language for bible texts... it is a markup language for bible publishing, with footnotes, commentary, etc.

However, you simply need to identify only the markers that have bible text following them... and delete all the markers and their text that are not in that group... (tables, footnotes, embedded paragraphs, etc.).

Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#5 bible4all

bible4all

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

However, you simply need to identify only the markers that have bible text following them... and delete all the markers and their text that are not in that group... (tables, footnotes, embedded paragraphs, etc.).

One man's simple is another man's ... Oh well, I guess that's not a saying. Anyway, I spent quite a few hours trying to fix up a version for import and didn't get very far. It is not just a matter of deleting some of the codes. It is also necessary to change the format of all of the codes that are necessary. I'm sure a skilled programmer could do it faster. But it would be great if the programmers worked out a utility to do that one time and we could all benefit from it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: import, usfm, user bible

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users