Exchange update for end of term

Ken Simpson

Hi everyone,

after months of quietness, we have had another week of very interesting contributions to the Exchange.

Jack Gilbert has contributed a module that combines sermons and blog posts from desiringgod.org on Sexual Sin and Sexual Purity.

Greg Terry has updated a new batch of public domain texts converted into Accordance modules.
  • The 1979 "Book of Common Prayer" of the Episcopal Church if the USA.
  • "Sermons to the Natural Man" by William Shedd, a 19th century New England Presbyterian. This work is the counterpoint to his "Sermons to the Spiritual Man".
  • "Apology of the Church of England" by John Jewel from Project Gutenberg.
  • "The Ten Commandments" was originally part of the "Body of Divinity" also by Thomas Watson.
  • "Altogether Lovely" by John Flavel, the 17th century Presbyterian minister.
  • "The Rent Veil" by Horatius Bonar, the 19th century Free Church of Scotland minister.
  • Andrewes Devotions - a module with the private prayers of Bishop Lancelot Andrewes that have been translated from Greek, Hebrew, and Latin and adapted for general public use. Andrewes was one of the bishops who supervised the translation of the Authoised Version (often called the King James Version) of the Bible.
Luis Zaldana has uploaded his workspaces, the Passage Guide, Exegetical Guide and Word Study Guide which are collection of workspaces designed to facilitate the study of biblical texts
And lastly, Daniel Semler has updated his excellent Applescript app to to generate Greek flashcard data for importing into flashcard applications. This one is for Mac's only, but rumour has it that he is working on a similar process to use in LibreOffice that will be cross platform.
Enjoy and keep contributing!
  • Like 1

And one more just to round it off also from Greg Terry...

• "The Lord's Prayer" was originally part of the "Body of Divinity" also by Thomas Watson. A companion essay to the "The Ten Commandments".

It has raised the issue that files uploaded to the server with an inverted comma can't then be accessed by me without a lot of problem. I will amend the upload instructions to reflect this.

Hi Ken,

The LibreOffice spreadsheet approach is working. I am working on packaging and more testing. I can create Flashcards from both Windows and Mac and I can use either Analysis data or Parsing data as the source. It has got a few more manual steps than the Applescript method, but its more general and its multi-platform so long as you are prepared to use LibreOffice. Hopefully I can finish it up when I return from vacation.

Thx

D

How does one go about creating the flashcards? What kind of program(s) do you suggest one look at? Having chosen a program, what steps do you go through to create them (I understand it is program specific, but pick one as an example). Do you go the manual route: buy a bunch of index cards and markers?

Three cheers for the 1979 BCP!! Thanks, Greg.

• Like 1

Hi JAC,

I use Cram.com personally. I have used other apps, Mounce's Flashworks for example, or some different Android apps, and even manual cards. But Cram has apps for both Android and iOS so I just use it. The Android app does have issues with displaying some accented characters but not enough for me to worry. Every now and then I try to sort out the font issues but I've not succeed yet. It works fine on a PC/OSX browser.

I get source data from modules in Accordance and use either the Analysis tab data or the Parsing data depending upon what I want to drill. Both require a small amount of pre-processing before dropping the data into Cram's importer. To do that I use a spreadsheet macro in LibreOffice, though I have done it with Applescript and manually editing using editors.

I can PM you a pre-release of the text of a user tool that explains how to do this. It won't make complete sense perhaps without the ancillary bits and bobs but it will give you an idea.

Thx

D

Hi JAC,

The other way to learn is to watch the screencast that Rick Bennett has made (you can find the link in his post here).

I found it very helpful.

Edited by Ken Simpson