#1 Brent Landau

Brent Landau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

Hello,

Apologies if this information is easy to find elsewhere (and if it is, I'll delete this post):

I'm working with a fragmentary papyrus, and am trying to see if a given sequence of letters corresponds to any word or words in the Greek NT (or other corpora). For example, on one line, I've got the sequence αρτη, but that's it. If I type that into the search box, a window pops up asking me to enter the lexical form, which doesn't help since I don't have a complete word. So, I'd like to do a search that would find this string of letters both in a single word (for example, χαρτης) and in two successive words (like γαρ την). Is that possible? Thanks!

#2 Mike Thigpen

Mike Thigpen

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Old Testament, Hebrew, ANE History, etc.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:19 PM

I'm sure others will contribute more here, but at least initially, I believe you can search *?αρτη?* which would show you this sequence within a word. 

I'm not sure about searching the sequence across word boundaries.  

Hope that helps!

Mike

Edited by Mike Thigpen, 01 August 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#3 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,668 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:37 PM

Mike was close, Brent, try this search string: *αρτη*

The asterisk (*) represents any number of characters (0-1000). The question mark (?) means a single character, one and only one.

I don't know of any automatic way to get Accordance to ignore spaces between words, even though many Greek MSS do not include them. I think you may have to do that part of your search manually: *a <FOLLOWED BY> ρτη*  then search for *aρ <FOLLOWED BY> τη* then *aρτ <FOLLOWED BY> η*

Still, that's easier than any other method I know of! :D

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#4 James Tucker

James Tucker

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

I don't know of any automatic way to get Accordance to ignore spaces between words, even though many Greek MSS do not include them. I think you may have to do that part of your search manually: *a <FOLLOWED BY> ρτη*  then search for *aρ <FOLLOWED BY> τη* then *aρτ <FOLLOWED BY> η*

This actually will be a rather dirty search, as the conditions of the search will likely be set to a verse. Thus, these conditions will be true for a great deal of verses, requiring a lot of time spent filtering out false hits. If you follow Tim's advice you will need to add another parameter to your search argument, namely, <WITHIN ?>. If you specify the amount of words the conditions must occur, you will clean your search up a great deal.

However, there is a much easier method to this research. I do this sort of searching all the time with Unidentified DSS fragments. A rather simple method to this searching is to add a space to your search. For example, "*ar" "th*" does exactly what you are looking to do. Once you account for orthographical variations, you have some fairly solid data at your finger tips.

Edited by James Tucker, 01 August 2014 - 03:51 PM.

#5 Timothy Jenney

Timothy Jenney

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,668 posts
  • Interests:a good cup of coffee, sci-fi, playing bass, listing to jazz and the blues, camping, fishing and the great outdoors
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

Sounds even better. Thanks, James

Edited by Timothy Jenney, 01 August 2014 - 03:58 PM.

Blessings,
"Dr. J"

Timothy P. Jenney, Ph. D.
"Lighting the Lamp" Host and Producer

Mac: Early 2011 17" MBP (8,3), 2.3 GHz Quad core, 16 GB RAM, Mercury 6G 480 SSD + 1.5 TB HD, OSX 10.10, Yosemite

iPhone 6 plus 64 GB iOS 8.1

#6 Brent Landau

Brent Landau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:10 PM

Perfect, thanks, James! That gets me exactly what I want. Thanks to everyone else who chimed in as well.

#7 Brent Landau

Brent Landau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

By the way, what I'm working on is P. Oxy. 210, which may or may not be an apocryphal gospel, but is very fragmentary. Thus, finding sets of letters from two words right next to each other is hugely helpful for potential reconstruction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users