Crash Logs

ugotdave

Does anyone know if Accordance keeps a log of crashes (dump file)?

Acc 10.4.3.2 IBM ThinkPad Win XP SP3

Edited by ugotdave

Yes. Under ProgramData\Accordance\Logs.

If you find recent logs and you are having problems, could you please send them to me with some details on the problems you were seeing?

I am sorry, that directory does not exist, my Accordance directory, from what I can see, is C:\Oaktree\Accordance\resources...

The ProgramData folder is a hidden folder that you have to navigate to in Windows Explorer directly.

In the navigation bar type

%programdata%\Accordance

That should take you to the right spot.

• Like 1

Thank you for the info but that directory does not exist on my hard drive.

I always have "show hidden files and folders" checked.

I tried placing "%programdata%\Accordance" in the nav field in Explorer, got "The parameter is incorrect" dialog box.

I toggled my "hidden folders" off and on again and searched but still cannot locate this directory.

To my knowledge there is not a file or directory that I cannot see on my system. Keep in mind I am running Windows XP SP3

Edited by ugotdave

Ahhh, sorry. I am way outside my windows comfort zone now. One the Windows gurus will need to weigh in. Sorry.

Sorry for not seeing that you are using XP. The folder you were indicating is the folder where the executable resides, but the log files, as well as the installed content, are in a different location

Try this: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data

Hello All, I went to my "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data" and found the following:

Accordance -> Accordance Preference-> Atlas files-> Documentation-> Gloss folder-> Modules

Neither directory, or subdirectory contained a log file pertaining to system crashes. I did find "Module Installation Log.txt" but it was not helpful addressing crash logs.

Does anyone else have a direction for me?

Hey ugotdave,

OK, I have a win 7 install - I did have an XP but not anymore. Anyhow the file names are like this : ErrorReport 7_1_2014 04_04_15.txt. You could do a search for this sort of name.

That said, what problem are you having that you are trying to debug ?

Tx

D

Hi Daniel,

Lil background first for you.

I am running an older IBM/Lenovo 1.66 GHz T2300 CPU (has dual processors), 2GB RAM, SATA 500GB HDD, Win XP SP3.

Currently I have no issues with any software programs and really never had. The Laptop has been a solid machine from the beginning. I re-formatted about 2 years and installed the factory XP O/S.

Recently I installed Accordance on the machine. When clicking on -

Help | About Accordance from the Menu, it says 'Version 10.4.3.2

When checking for App Updates it says 'You're up to date!" Accordance 10.4.3.5683

When checking Content Updates, I am up to date as well, so it appears that the Program and Content Modules are all current.

Here is the hard part, I cannot replicate the software crash, it is random and is not consistent. From what I can tell it seems to happen allot when scrolling, but not all the time. I can be scrolling down or up in a Bible Version or in a Commentary or the like and the Application just closes. The scrolling issue may just be a coincidence too.

I have had it crash while viewing the Analysis details as well. The Software Program, on my machine seems to most intensive here. Kinda like a latency issue.

Anyway, with all that said, that is why I was looking for the cash logs.

I searched and found no "ErrorReport" file either. Even searched for *error* (wildcard) and found nothing that was pertaining to Accordance. I have searched my hard drive and cannot seems to find where Accordance is hiding these files.

Maybe with XP they are embedding the error log files inside another file in their application and not wanting it to be found. That's the only thing I can think of. It typically is not that hard to find error logs, software vendors usually make them easy to find.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated!!

Hmmmm.... ok. From time to time I have noticed Acc exit on windows without apparent cause. Still happens. I would log a topic on this if I could repro. it but its pretty infrequent and hard to nail down. But this "crash" appears to be a sudden exit. Crashes of the type where the app becomes unresponsive and you have to use the Task Manager or something similar to abort the app do occur but they are rare for me now. I try to get a repro. case together and open a topic on it. But I have often wondered if the app exits like this if diagnostic files ought to be dumped. I don't know the code but basically it seems a useful enhancement for any abnormal exit to produce a trace log. I don't recall if I've ever found a log to correlate with failures like that that I've seen. I have however seen such error log files for other cases.

Thx

D

I agree, with a sudden crash, it may be that there are no dump files to be had, perse.

I am going to keep my Laptop for now. It came originally with Vista, but I solicited Lenovo for XP discs and they supplied them years ago.

I am however going to purchase a SSD hard drive next week and may install Window 7. This may fix my issue all together.

I still wonder where Accordance keeps their error log files for XP when they are produced. But, like we said, there may be no dump file created and if there was it could be written to the All Users | Application Data | Accordance directory. Hummmm????

Thanks for your dialog and concern Daniel.

Welcome. Good luck on the SSD. Win 7 will occupy about half a 128GB SSD so don't go too small. And Win 7 will let you move user data about but alas most of Acc's data (all the modules) is under ProgramData. I think this has been asked about before - configuring the modules to go somewhere else, but I don't know if its been done yet.

thx

D

Wow Daniel, Win7 will occupy 64GB!!! That is bloated!!

I wounder if I could install a MAC O/S on my laptop???

I will do some searching to see what is required for that.

I might be overstating a bit - it's probably got software in amongst there also. I don't have the machine in front of me. But yep its a bunch.

Tony Macx86 has some stuff on hackintoshing a laptop. It can certainly be done. You need to go pretty standard on the hardware if you don't want problem is what I understand. I looked into it once for a desktop. My current laptop was bought with this in mind but I like win 7 enough that I never got around to it.

Hmmm... checking Windows directory on my laptop : 28GB. I would need to check the other machine, but your software will end up on the system disk also. Check out this post though http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/284198-32-30gb-large-install-windows-professional.

What I ended up doing with the build I did was use two SSDs. A 128 GB for the OS and a 256 for the user data. Then I moved all the user directories over to the second SSD. Now I have tons of space on the system disk.

And we have now seriously derailed your original query :)

Thx

D

What I ended up doing with the build I did was use two SSDs. A 128 GB for the OS and a 256 for the user data. Then I moved all the user directories over to the second SSD. Now I have tons of space on the system disk.

I'd be interested in knowing how you did that Daniel...

Hey Ken,

What you cannot do in a supported manner is what everyone naturally wants to do - move the entire user home directory to another disk or create a user location on another disk to begin with. But you can direct all the basic libraries - My Documents, My Videos, My Pictures and some others. If you right click on one of these in the Explorer you will see a Location tab. You can give it another location, and ask it to move the files and subdirectories to that new location. I built a Users directory on my second SSD and then created a subdir for each user I wanted to move. Then under each I created a directory for each one of the movable directories. Then I modified the library location and windows copied over all the user data. In this case most of it was pictures. Relieved the system SSD majorly. There is some info on this at : http://www.pcworld.com/article/190286/data_part_win7.html. Its not the link I originally used but it documents this piece.

There are various other ways to do this sort of thing, some more complete than others, but they often involved registry hacks or other such things. I preferred to mostly solve the problem without playing such games. It would of course be nice to be able to move Program Files and Program Data but windows doesn't like that apparently, though I've not researched it a lot.

Thx

D

Hey Daniel, I found one of the culprits causing my Accordance App to crash.

If I have a Bible open, lets say ESVS and a parrallel Text, lets say the JNT Commentary, when I move my mouse cursor over the hyperlinks in a fast mannor or even slow the system will crash. Seems to happen more when I move over them fast though. I can reproduce this as well.

Who do I contact about this? Support?

Very nice. OK, what I normally do is open a separate topic in this forum here describing the test case in detail. Oaktree staff participate in these fora (Orly and Ken above for example) and this will get picked up that way.

Thx

D

When you add the new topic, please let us know if you have the instant details open and in what form. Or if you have any other zone up. Also, a screen shot is very helpful.

Thank you for finding a way to reproduce this on your system.

• 5 years later...

The ProgramData folder is a hidden folder that you have to navigate to in Windows Explorer directly.

In the navigation bar type

%programdata%\Accordance

That should take you to the right spot.

Hello Ken Simpson

I am five years too late to this thread but I wanted to let you know that this does work for me in Windows 10.

I simply click on the spyglass/magnifying glass icon on the bottom toolbar and then type in(or cut and past) %programdata%\Accordance and search. It brings it up in less than a sec.