Accordance on iPad Air

Harold Hosch

I am considering getting quite soon an iPad Air. My major concern is twofold. One what is the recommended GB, am considering 32GB or 64GB. Two, I would like to put the Accordance APP on the iPad, but am only considering a limited number of modules with special emphasis on the Hebrew text, a limited number of EVV, and the Greek text including LXX and NT Greek. The iPad will be used primarily for limited study and research using Accordance, but of course will involve other uses outside of Accordance. My basic writing and study will be done on the iMac. I am hoping I make some sense with my questions. Thanks for whatever help you might give me. Keep in mind that I am asking these questions in the context of an older age than most on the Forum—85 years whatever. Thanks

• Like 1

Even if you install the GNT manuscript image modules (which are high in MB), if Accordance constitutes your primary iPad usage, 32GB would be plenty for what you're describing.

One thing to consider, though, is you can't ever really upgrade your iPad storage, so if you think you'd ever move into heavy use of other apps (and saving .pdfs, photos, music, video, etc.), 64GB could make sense, but sounds like 32GB will do you just fine.

• Like 1

Also Accordance has numerous graphic rich modules too (which can fill up space fast). That said and I own several of the Photo rich modules, my iPad is using only 8.1 GB to hold most of my Accordance library. And other than the music App it is by far the largest storage usage on my iPad, having said that I am still finding the 64 GB iPad a bit cramped for me.

-Dan

I have a 32GB 3rd Gen iPad, and I've had to be judicious in my apps, etc. My next iPad (which is likely several years away) won't be smaller than 64 GB.

But, in addition to having several graphics-rich resources in Accordance (Bible Lands Photo Guide and the Photo Museum), I also have a batch of music (less now, as that's where I've cut when needed), several birding guides (all graphics intensive) and a host of other apps.

One thing I've discovered is that the longer I have my iPad, the more uses (and thus apps & space) I find for it. If you can swing the 64 GB iPad air, I'd encourage you to go that route.

I would suggest the 64GB if you can afford it. I have the 32GB and it is a bit cramped.

My advice is buy the biggest you can afford. I have a 16 gig iPad 2 and bought a 64 gig iPhone. I don't subscribe to the common thoughts that you don't need storage as you can access the cloud (though there are many who do). My next upgrade will be 128! (Unless there is something bigger by the time when I can get to the states). Like others, as soon as you get one you will use it for all kinds of things and you can be sure that they will all eat storage.

;o)

Edited by ukfraser

I have a 32GB mini and a pretty large Accordance install (but not many of the graphic intensive modules) and have a lot of free space (11GB free). I also do not store music or images on it though.

I want to thank everyone for the information. Rick, I am much like you in that I would not put graphic intensive pics on the iPad. Because I am retired and am just doing more casual writing at this stage in my life. I have a grandson in the seminary where I once taught, and he has an iPad. I would imagine we will be doing more face time. I taught Hebrew and Old Testament, so he has some questions for me once in awhile. I am also mentoring in the Old Testament an associate pastor and lay persons in our church—we are homebound so I do that in our apartment. I just want to do the kind of reading research away from my computer, and felt the iPad Air would be a good tool. That means that modules in Accordance that I find very useful would serve me well on the iPad plus being able to see the Hebrew/Septuagint-New Testament Greek would be a good use of my time when not in my office. Thanks doe everyone's help. Found a good price on brand new iPad Air with 64 GB. Harold

• Like 2

...I am also mentoring in the Old Testament an associate pastor and lay persons in our church...

They are fortunate to have you! Hope you enjoy the iPad.