#1 David Knoll

David Knoll

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:14 AM

Searching for Syriac words is very difficult when it is impossible to enter the letter ܫ.

Instead of the expected character one receives a Gershuni ܔ which does not occur in the Peshitta OT at all.

10.4.3.2 Mac and Windows. 

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:12 PM

I don't think it was intended to use the Israeli keyboard for Syriac, sorry! The v key works in the regular keyboard, but if you have the Israeli keyboard set you can still use the Character palette to enter the ܫ.

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Pchris

Pchris

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:Old Testament Exegesis, The Ancient Near East, the Hamito-Semitic languages, Ancient Greek, Mythology

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:01 PM

If you're using a Mac computer, there is a great Syriac keyboard mapping layout called Syriac Jchill, and it works perfect when searching in Accordance. The web page http://bethmardutho.org/ has a link to the layout - and it also sports a wide range of neat Syriac fonts.

*Edit*

Coincidentally, the ܫ character is also assigned to "v" in the Jchill Keyboard layout..

Edited by Pchris, 19 August 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#4 David Knoll

David Knoll

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:56 PM

I don't think it was intended to use the Israeli keyboard for Syriac, sorry! The v key works in the regular keyboard, but if you have the Israeli keyboard set you can still use the Character palette to enter the ܫ.

I don't get it. I use the Israeli keyboard for Hebrew. Now every time I search Syriac I need to change my Accordance settings to the normal keyboard? and why does the Gershuni character need to occupy the ܫ? 

Edited by David Knoll, 19 August 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#5 David Knoll

David Knoll

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:04 PM

If you're using a Mac computer, there is a great Syriac keyboard mapping layout called Syriac Jchill, and it works perfect when searching in Accordance. The web page http://bethmardutho.org/ has a link to the layout - and it also sports a wide range of neat Syriac fonts.

*Edit*

Coincidentally, the ܫ character is also assigned to "v" in the Jchill Keyboard layout..

Thank you! I don't want to memorize yet another keyboard layout (though the Syriac layout is almost identical to the Arabic). Frankly I have a Syriac layout which I created for both Windows and Mac which corresponds to the Israeli layout, but someone I know who uses Windows asked me to report this.

Edited by David Knoll, 19 August 2014 - 06:26 PM.

• Pchris likes this

#6 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,514 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:49 AM

David, back to the original issue of the Israeli keyboard, you can just type shift-A to get your ܫ.  On the Israeli keyboard, 'a' is the unpointed seen, which doesn't exist in Syriac (thus the replacement with ܔ), but shift-a is the pointed 'shin', which maps properly to Syriac.

• David Knoll likes this
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#7 David Knoll

David Knoll

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Thank You! I'll pass that on. I think it would be better if you map this character to the unshifted "a" as well, because that ܔ character is never used in the Peshitta (OT or NT) and it would make typing so much more intuitive. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users