Any good Hebrew display fonts?

Martin Z

I have tried a few fonts, including Helvetica, Ezra SIL (couldn't find SBL Hebrew on Accordance, although I could find it in Numbers), but was not satisfied with a small problem.

post-32138-0-25750600-1411092538_thumb.png

As shown in the screenshot, I had difficulty in recognizing the vowels.

BibleWorks is much better:

post-32138-0-82422600-1411092685_thumb.png

Any suggestions?

Ah there may be a problem though. http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8831

I then found trying to change it in Acc is not possible for Greek or Hebrew texts that I have. I assume that is simply because they are not Unicode.

That would be a worthwhile enhancement but ...

Thx
D

All our texts are coded with Helena and Yehudit and Rosetta. To go to Unicode would mean recoding all those texts. It has to do with the ascii code used to define the letter(s). In our texts we use the standard ascii space with some overstrike tricks in the font to give the results we do. In Unicode, there is a much larger code space and the codes beyond the standard ascii space indicate both the letter and the language of the font.

Accordance will be using Helena, Yehudit, Rosetta etc for some time is my take on it. But then, I am not in that part of Oaktree :-)

• Like 1

Ken, you can export in Unicode though. So while I realise this is one of those blithely made suggestions that fits noone's schedules and priorities but ... it should be possible to use that recoding code and programmatically rewrite the texts. I am no doubt missing something of course, but it sounds possible. But I'm not in any part of Oaktree. I just live under one - quite literally.

Thx

D

• Like 2

Your screenshot of BibleWorks shows an error. The shva under the resh should be placed under downstroke not in the center of the character. It's very difficult to place the cantillation mark and accent under the narrow yod without impinging on the following shva.

SBL Hebrew manages it but only by adding spacing. You can export to Unicode and select SBL Hebrew in your word processor.

SBLHeb.png

You cannot change the display font in Accordance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Your screenshot of BibleWorks shows an error. The shva under the resh should be placed under downstroke not in the center of the character. It's very difficult to place the cantillation mark and accent under the narrow yod without impinging on the following shva.

SBL Hebrew manages it but only by adding spacing. You can export to Unicode and select SBL Hebrew in your word processor.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifSBLHeb.png

You cannot change the display font in Accordance.

My problem is not with the exported text, but with the text display in Accordance (I guess most people just read or consult the Hebrew Bible in Accordance rather than exporting the text to word processor).

You're right, the shewa should be under the downstroke.

I think we have to compromise in some way for the sake of the cantillation marks and accents.

In this case, because of the מוּנָח (◌ ֣◌), the Pathach under yod is moved to the right in both Accordance and the BHS hard copy. However, the signs in the BHS hard copy have more space between them. It is very easy to recognize, whereas in Accordance, they stay too close (I think they really like each other ^_^).

BibleWorks instead move the shewa under Resh to the left to make it easy to recognize.

As a reader, I don't care which is more standard as much as I care which is easier to recognize.

Of course, if we could make it look exactly like the BHS hard copy, it would be perfect to me.