Evernote anyone?

R. Mansfield

Thanks... and did you already say where/how to find these Services? (I'm a newbie to Services, but interested.)

Some programs like Evernote install them. The Accordance Services that I wrote about the other day are user-installed.

Services are controlled via System Preferences: Keyboard: Services

Screen Shot 2014-10-24 at 2.52.54 PM.png

Thanks, Rick--on my short list of things to figure out (for Evernote). Was just using my recently installed Accordance Services today. Thanks for that post! It was a great, brief, easy-to-get-going description.

Where did you find the OS X services for Evernote?

I don't know. I assumed they were installed when I installed Evernote.

Oops! You're right. I see it now. I was looking for it when I didn't have an item highlighted.

Thanks!

Edited by circuitrider

• 3 months later...

p.s. A little utility called 'Popclip' means I just highlight the text in Accordance and I get a 'Copy to Evernote' option.

Have you noticed this does not work in any dictionaries?

I had never noticed that before! The issue seems to affect second zones - a bit of a conundrum.

Still, cmd-c still works for copy and then the paste side of Popclip sill works for the word processor or Evernote, esp 'paste=' which keeps all the the formatting of the working document.

• 1 month later...

I have Evernote but haven't used it much. Any Evernote-OF integration tips are appreciated! What would I gain from using Evernote that I can't already have/do in Accordance and OmniFocus? Is it the chance to save a note or tidbit of information or Website?

And, for that matter, maybe DevonThink could provide that missing piece?

Hi Abram.  Both Evernote and Omnifocus are scriptable apps.  So it is possible to automate some useful interactions between the two.  For example:

1. I have an applescript that logs all my completed tasks in Evernote – should it ever prove useful to have an archive!  Evernote is an excellent repository for information so I like to keep archives / reference material within it.

2. I have another script for collecting notes with a specific tag in Evernote (#Omnifocus) and turning them into Omnifocus inbox items with a link to the Evernote note in the OF task's notes section (wow so much usage of the word "note" there!).

It is also possible to have a script add a due date to the OF items based on the reminder in Evernote if one exists.

A useful script I have for Evernote creates new notes based on templates.  Currently I use it to create a meeting agenda on Mondays and a new shopping list for Saturdays (its so much easier to have a template with our regular groceries than to have to uncheck all our checklist / todo items).

Putting forward a brief case for using Evernote I would say that in Accordance all of your notes will be tied to specific locations in the Bible's text, which has significant advantages in some cases.  But Evernote has is designed as a reference app for your notes.  It has an excellent search facility, notes can be tagged, and you can easily link directly between notes.  On the mobile apps you can also format the text in notes.  Sync is automatic in Evernote, whereas on the Accordance iOS apps you have to do sync manually and the button is not in the main view.

I actually came onto the forum today in the hope of finding out if someone has found a way to automatically sync their Accordance notes into Evernote.  I think it may be possible to extract notes from the .acc4 notes file that is stored in Dropbox.  But I haven't found a way yet.

Hi, Dan (guessing on your name there. :) )

Great thoughts--thanks. I'm guessing you know OF has its own archiving? Not sure how easy it is to access it, though. I've never tried.

And syncing Accordance notes to Evernote would be really cool.