Improve the 'copy as reference' and 'copy as citation'

danzac

For its own legitimate reasons, Accordance does not use the standard abbreviations for ancient texts in the modules (like the DSS and the OT Pseudepigrapha and apocryphal gospels).

I don't particularly mind too much for working with Accordance, but when it comes to incorporating findings in Accordance with my research, the changing of abbreviations and citations formatting can be very bothersome.

Can I request that the copy as reference and copy as citations conform the correct long titles and abbreviations of SBL style (see the SBL handbook).

For instance 2 Baruch is abbreviated 2 Bar. with italics. Accordance's abbrev. is 2Bar. The Testament of Naphtali is abbreviated T. Naph. Accordances full name for this is Naphtali, and its abbreviation is Naph.

For DSS, it is slightly more complicated. Here is a quote from the SBL handbook:

"When a manuscript is referred to by column and line number, roman

numerals are used for the column number, followed by a space, with the

line number set as arabic numerals (e.g., 1QS III, 12; 1QpHab I, 2). Manu-

scripts of biblical texts can include the biblical citation of chapter and verse

in parentheses: 4QpaleoExodm V, 4 (9:7).

When there are several fragments and they are numbered separately

within a work, the fragments should be in arabic numerals. Thus, 1Q27 1 II,

25 means text 27 from Qumran Cave 1, fragment 1, column II, line 25"

Accordance has DSS lines abbreviated very differently, for example 4Q185 fl_2i:8. Again, I don't mind this to much when working in Accordance, but when i am making use of my findings I am having to retype all of these citations

Well when one of the bosses say its a good idea, that makes me happy!

fyi, I have an excel file of proper title and abbreviations for most of the ancient literature relevant to biblical studies, taken from the SBL handbook. If this would help Accordance out in making this a feature, I would be happy to pass it along.

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Accordance gang,

I was thinking about this whole abbreviation thing, and I was wondering if this could be taken a step further for increased usability. If Accordance built in an abbreviation database for citations and references, why not also be able to recognize those abbreviations in the search window? It would be nice to be able to copy a string of citations from another program and just drop them into an Accordance search, without having to worry about changing the abbreviations to the Accordance ones.

just a thought, Danny

• 1 year later...

I may have my hopes up, but I did pass my abbreviations excel file on to JP a year ago, and I remember talking to David Lang and R. Mansfield a year ago about this whole properly abbreviated citations issue. I don't see any indication in the release notes, but is it part of Accordance 8? I'd so love to see this come about.

It's still on the list, just didn't make it into the first release of 8. Sorry, but we had to draw the line somewhere or we would never have released it. There are several important new features still planned for version 8.

I can understand that. I'm happy about the v.8 release, and very happy that this is still in the plans. Having to fix the abbrev's for citations takes up a lot of time that hopefully Accordance can help with in the future.

• 2 months later...

1) May I request new feature for copying reference texts? I search all Accordance modules, and I get a list of commentary references. It would be nice if I could select any commentary text and copy it, then paste it with the reference information below the text. Currently it works only for the Bible modules, but not for the commentaries.

2) Another idea - if I could export all the search results in RTF file - with two options - save only as references, or save as real text to which these references point to. For example, today I search for the word "orphan". It would be good if I could save result list (references), or if Accordance could also save actual text of those references as RTF file - it would be way easier to read search results. Now I have to click each reference title to expand it and then click on the reference, new tab opens and I see the reference text. I have to switch back to see another reference, click on it to open new tab to read that reference, etc. Not very productive way. If I could get all these references with the real text they point to in one long list (text file and/or another Accordance tab), it would be much better.

Archived