• Interests:Astronomy
    Archaeology
    Physics
    Hebrew and Greek
    Papyrology
    Orthopædic Surgery
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted Today, 07:01 AM

Hi, I think I have seen this before, and it may have been reported on the forums before, but I was just performing a comparison between LXX and GNT language when I noticed a very significant issue (IMHO).

The  aorist of λέγω, εἰπον is tagged as such in the GNT (i.e. the lemma of εἰπον is reported as λέγω) but in the LXX the form εἰπον is also reported as the lemma. 

Given the frequency of this word it would seem to be a very significant problem in doing INFER searches for example, or any lemma search for λέγω in fact.

I note that the lemma ὀράω is correctly reported as having the aorist form εἰδον.

It’s clearly not a bug, and I imagine it would be a big job to change, but it seems to me to be a significant issue.

Interestingly λέγω is recognised as the underlying lemma in Prov 25:7 where ῥηθῆναι is the inflected form in the LXX

Edited by Ken Simpson, Today, 07:11 AM.

Regards
Ken
Lead Australian Accordance Demonstrator

Administrator, Accordance Exchange

Assistant Minister, Summer Hill Church

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,244 posts

Posted Today, 07:59 AM

We are not the people responsible for tagging the LXX, we simply receive the fully tagged database. It's my guess that our scholars want to stick to their scheme and the LXX scholars prefer theirs. Unless they agree on how to tag these words, and one of them changes their entire system, we are left with the inconsistency.

Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts

Posted Today, 09:49 AM

Interestingly it does seem to report λεγω as the root (though alas not in all cases either) and thus a root search may help. Of course you would have to know where and when you needed this. I guess that INFER's ability to drop or add a word may help with phrase matching.

tx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler, Today, 10:00 AM.

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 10.4.3.2                     Accordance 10.4.3.2 and Aleph 10.4.3.2
      OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users