#1 hno.emanuel.cardona

hno.emanuel.cardona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 30 October 2014 - 04:22 PM

Dear Friends,

Can anyone who has worked with the HMT-W4 and the BHS provide me some of the differences that exists between them (i.e., in the hebrew text), if any.  I was told that the HMT-W4 preserves the exact same text as the BHS, it just adds the alternative reading of a word in the text (in brackets) rather than in a footnote.  This is probably why Accordance has the HMT-W4 as being "almost identical" with the BHS.  Also, will the alternative reading of a word in the HMT-W4 (in brackets) affect or show up when searching within the text for a particular word (e.g, lemma, inflection, root), forcing me to check every verse to check if the occurrences of a particular word being searched for includes the bracketed words or not.  Please let me know if I need to be more clear.  Thank you in advance for the help.

Emanuel

#2 Outis

Outis

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:Hiking, Mountain Biking, Swimming,Translating Hebrew & Greek, good coffee, loose-leaf tea, homebrewing, stinky candles.

Posted Yesterday, 05:35 AM

To my understanding, this is the difference.

• The BHS-T preserves the BHS tagged text with the notes referring to the textual apparatus
  • The HMT-W4 preserves the BHS tagged text, but it has no references to the apparatus.  It does, however, have the proper Qere and Ketiv notations in the text.

For more information about the Qere and Ketiv, look at the "read me."  How Accordance preserves them is quite well thought-out.

Pastor Steve Bauer

stevebauer.us
pastorbauer--> at <--gmail.com

sic fatvs nocti se miscvit atrae...

#3 hno.emanuel.cardona

hno.emanuel.cardona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:47 AM

To my understanding, this is the difference.

• The BHS-T preserves the BHS tagged text with the notes referring to the textual apparatus
  • The HMT-W4 preserves the BHS tagged text, but it has no references to the apparatus.  It does, however, have the proper Qere and Ketiv notations in the text.

For more information about the Qere and Ketiv, look at the "read me."  How Accordance preserves them is quite well thought-out.

HMT-W4: What about when doing word searches within the text, does the bracketed words show up when doing word searches?  If yes, then that means that I have to double check my word occurrences and not count the bracketed words manually.

BHS-T: The words that are bracketed words in the HMT-W4  are in the apparatus so they will not show up when doing word searches withing the text (unlike HMT-W4).

#4 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,812 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:52 AM

For all texts, including the HMT-W4, you can use the (+) button to determine how you want to treat bracketed words, including them, excluding them, or only searching them.

Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#5 hno.emanuel.cardona

hno.emanuel.cardona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:57 AM

For all texts, including the HMT-W4, you can use the (+) button to determine how you want to treat bracketed words, including them, excluding them, or only searching them.

I am sorry, but I am new to Accordance.  Is there a way you can show me by video or screenshot or some other way (baby steps I guess)?  When doing searches what exactly do I have to do to not include the bracketed words in the HMT-W4 so that the search results are the same like if I was searching withing the BHS-T that does not have the bracketed words in the text because they are in the apparatus?

#6 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:09 AM

Hi Emanuel,

Take a look at this link which explains the search entry area : http://accordancefil..._entry_area.htm

Thx

D

• Stefan Green likes this
Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 10.4.3.2                     Accordance 10.4.3.2 and Aleph 10.4.3.2
      OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#7 hno.emanuel.cardona

hno.emanuel.cardona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:17 AM

Hi Emanuel,

Take a look at this link which explains the search entry area : http://accordancefil..._entry_area.htm

Thx

D

Thank you so much Daniel and Joel.  I just have to choose not to include the bracketed words and then search withing the HMT-W4.  You directed me exactly to where I needed to go! 

#8 EricC

EricC

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:20 AM

For more information about the Qere and Ketiv, look at the "read me." 

Where is this? Clicking on the "i" for "info" only gives a little snippet of information. Seems that there should be a link to the "read me" file there.

#9 hno.emanuel.cardona

hno.emanuel.cardona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:23 AM

Where is this? Clicking on the "i" for "info" only gives a little snippet of information. Seems that there should be a link to the "read me" file there.

I agree.  

#10 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:50 AM

You can go to this post from a thread (and the posts below it) to find out how to get at Read Me files. Putting a link or something to them on the info section is a good idea, but there are a couple of ways in the meantime to access them.

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

#11 hno.emanuel.cardona

hno.emanuel.cardona

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:21 AM

You can go to this post from a thread (and the posts below it) to find out how to get at Read Me files. Putting a link or something to them on the info section is a good idea, but there are a couple of ways in the meantime to access them.

Thank you.

#12 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Sure thing!

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant, Blogger