• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Mark Nigro

Mark Nigro

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Theology, biblical and modern languages, motorcycles, classical guitar, technology
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted Yesterday, 09:33 PM

Thanks, Mark.  I new it was Anki that was pricey.  Just wanting to make sure Mental Case 2 can be used by buying only the iOS version.  I didn't see anything about needing it for the Mac, too, to make it work so I'm assuming it's a go.

You are correct, you can use the iOS version independently. 

#62 Daniel Semler

Daniel Semler

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:23 PM

let me know if that works, if not, I'll try to help - for me in the beginning setting those fonts right on Android wasn't easy at all.

Hey Rokas,

Ok the instructions you gave may be either a little out of date or incomplete but if you follow the full instructions at http://ankisrs.net/d...installingfonts it totally works. I now have diacritics in Greek flashcards which I've not had for all cases in Cram. And it's using my preferred typeface - Cardo.

So many thanx

D

Accordance Configurations :

Mac : 2009 27" iMac                 Windows : HP 4540s laptop
      Intel Core Duo                          Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      12GB RAM                                8GB RAM
      Accordance 11.0.1                       Accordance 11.0.1
      OSX 10.9 (Mavericks)                    Win 7 Professional x64 SP1

#63 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted Yesterday, 11:55 PM

You are correct, you can use the iOS version independently. 

Did you make up your own card decks or  import them from somewhere else?  Any tips?

Thanks.

Julia Falling

Accordance 11

MacBook Air Yosemite

mid-2013 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)

8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Yosemite Acc 11

late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)

16 GB RAM; 1.12  TB Fusion Drive

iPad Air 1 iOS 8.1

64 GB

#64 Julie Falling

Julie Falling

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Interests:Numerous!

Posted Today, 12:10 AM

Hey Julie,

Given that you spelled his name correctly whereas I did not, I wonder :)

Seriously though my main issue was whether the warning not to be apprehensive (more or less why Mounce makes the statement I believe, if I recall it correctly) has in and of itself led to apprehension or not. I might add that Mounce's material does a great deal to make sense of what would otherwise very much appear like a pea-souper.

Wallace is good I think in that he is pretty comprehensive - though I still find things I have to look up elsewhere. But he is very detailed (too much so at times ? Some of his categories seem very close together) and you're right it takes a good sit and a cup of coffee.

Daniel –

You've given me too much credit.  I didn't even notice the spelling, Steven, but just spelled the name the way the Bible and my husband spell it.  I really, really can't watch or read that kind of stuff.  I'd probably have nightmares.   :o  

I, too, like Wallace.  While he may break down some things into really a lot of categories with only small differences, his analysis makes me think.  I found his admonition to only use certain categories as a last resort helpful (e.g. participles as temporal only if nothing else works, and an accusative as an acc. of reference only if nothing else works).  If I start there and then remember not to get too inflexible about it, I do a bit better.

Julia Falling

Accordance 11

MacBook Air Yosemite

mid-2013 1.7 GHz Intel Core i7 (2 cores)

8 GB RAM; 512 G SSD

Mac mini Yosemite Acc 11

late-2012 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 (4 cores)

16 GB RAM; 1.12  TB Fusion Drive

iPad Air 1 iOS 8.1

64 GB

#65 Steve Wilkinson

Steve Wilkinson

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Christian apologetics, Tech stuff, cars, cooking, etc.
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted Today, 01:40 AM

As for physical flashcards, another resource from Bill Mounce is a set of 1,000 flashcards.

I'm pretty sure I have those already. Definitely looking for an 'e' version for my purposes. :)

Steve, I use Mental Case for OS X and iOS. It utilizes cloud sync and tracks your progress of incorrect vs. correct answers given so that you will see the troublesome words more often until they are mastered. The content can be text, images, screen shots, audio etc. I like using it and am quite happy with it. It's not perfect and there some things I'd like to see them add to it but it gets the job done well. Another cool feature is the ability to download from various sources, lots of "Flash Card" sets already made by other users, for things like Biblical Hebrew and Greek. You'll find BBG and BBH vocabulary ready to go too.

Odd, Mental Case seems not available in Canada.

Julie. Yes, I have Mental Case 2.0. About the price, I was referring to Anki's mobile version being costly. Not sure if that was clear...

I see Mental Case 2, but it almost looks like a different app (at least a really unprofessional looking icon in comparison to Mental Case). I'll have to look into that a bit more.

Also, in my searching I ran across a newcomer (I think) that looks pretty nice, Brainscape. They don't have Greek/Hebrew available yet, but it looks like someone has created an extensive Hebrew/Aramaic set. I'm not understanding their pricing model, as it seems free. I guess they make money off selling sets of pre-made study content or something.

Steve Wilkinson

Christian apologist • TilledSoil.org

Designer/Consultant • cgWerks.com

iMac / MacBook Air / iPad 2

#66 Steve Wilkinson

Steve Wilkinson

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Christian apologetics, Tech stuff, cars, cooking, etc.
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted Today, 01:49 AM

I really don't get why it has to be such a fog. I see no way out of it. 

Pardon the pun, but I think it's just that a different language is such a foreign subject. And, I know for me, the biggest problem was that I didn't really know English that well, so applying the concepts of grammar was a struggle from the start. Unlike many other things we learn, I think languages (especially the the first one from what I hear and others have indicated here) takes a huge time investment before you feel like you're making any progress. I suppose there are a few other subjects like that, but for most stuff, you get at least some gratification right from the start.

I think the work you put in now will pay off though. At least for me, the seminary courses moved REALLY fast. I was learning, just not nearly as fast as I needed to to keep up, especially with all the other coursework. Any base you can build before that will be of great help, IMO. I ended up only doing a semester of Hebrew and stopping Greek after a few weeks, as I'd met the language requirements for my degree. But, I really do want to eventually learn them, so I'm looking at getting back into them, just at my own pace this time. :)

I hope the fog start to clear for you soon.

Steve Wilkinson

Christian apologist • TilledSoil.org

Designer/Consultant • cgWerks.com

iMac / MacBook Air / iPad 2

#67 Fabian

Fabian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:www.internetkirche.com
    www.iglesia-del-internet.com

Posted Today, 02:48 AM

Have you also seen my post of Mimnesko?

If you have an iPhone you can use this electronic flashcards.

Greetings

Fabian

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Yosemite 10.10.1

Accordance 11.0.2

iPhone 4S

iOS 8.1.1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

danieleburrow