9 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Saunders

Scott Saunders

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted Yesterday, 11:48 AM

I’m researching workflow needs for myself and my wife and daughter.

Scrivener is our baby; but we’re looking to expand our writing-app family.

Scrivener is not intended to be a full-blown word processor, but rather a word generating environment. 

It is not a layout tool, but a tool for cutting the text that will become your book [or whatever else]. 

Many authors who have stricter formatting requirements, ... , will start their projects in Scrivener, and end in a word processor or desktop publishing, or some other specialized application. 

(User Manual Scrivener 2.6 for Mac OS X, pg. 178)(I added a line or two and some emphasis. Deleted some stuff. No harm done.)

I googled Mellel vs Nisus Writer Pro and looky, looky what showed up.

izlq4j.jpg

All great threads, each worth a read should you have writing-app workflow needs.

Mellel vs Nisus Writer Pro

Best Word Process for a PhD Dissertation

Exporting Hebrew Text + Word Processors

Academic writing software needs

Question to Bib. Scholars - Accordance with Mellel/BE/DT vs NotaBene

FWIW …

Scrivener iOS is coming.

Aeon Timeline, which has Scrivener Syncing.

Thanks to the experienced, knowledgeable contributors in the above threads,

Scott

• R. Mansfield, Timothy Jenney and Abram K-J like this

Accordance 11.x on Yosemite 10.x

#2 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:45 PM

Thanks for putting this all together in one place!

Abram K-J
Pastor, Writer, Editor, Blogger
Web: Words on the Word

Accordance 11 on Yosemite: early 2008 iMac / late 2008 MacBook

Latest iAccord on latest iOS on iPad mini

#3 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,193 posts

Posted Today, 01:04 AM

I know I'm starting to sound like I work for Evernote (but I dont) but I've begun doing all initial drafts of anything in Evernote. It's so convenient because I can pick up where I left off regardless of what device is before me.

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2013 8" Dell Venue 8 Pro - 1.33 Ghz Atom, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

#4 Scott Saunders

Scott Saunders

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted Today, 05:29 AM

Thanks for putting this all together in one place!

My pleasure Abram!

#5 Scott Saunders

Scott Saunders

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted Today, 05:38 AM

I know I'm starting to sound like I work for Evernote (but I dont) but I've begun doing all initial drafts of anything in Evernote. It's so convenient because I can pick up where I left off regardless of what device is before me.

I've looked at Evernote many, many times. It appears to be excellent; even being able to read text that is in pictures. Snap a picture. Run a search for a word and an image from your smartphone, something that you carry with you everywhere, is right there in the results. Amazing. Handy. The syncing would be so, so nice.

I forget why exactly, but I went with DevonThink Pro. I think it was that I saw someone's workflow from DevonThink, to Scrivener, to Mellel and it sold me. But Evernote is brilliant; would have been just as good a decision, maybe even better.

#6 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,193 posts

Posted Today, 05:41 AM

I used DevonThink Pro for years before switching to Evernote. It was the lack of a decent mobile solution that made me switch.

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

iOS

#7 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted Today, 09:01 AM

Rick--you've answered this before, perhaps (sorry if so), but does their mobile app just lack serious functionality? I would think at $15 it could do a lot, but....

Abram K-J

#8 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,193 posts

Posted Today, 09:22 AM

Rick--you've answered this before, perhaps (sorry if so), but does their mobile app just lack serious functionality? I would think at $15 it could do a lot, but....

Well, I haven't used it in a long time, but when it first came out, content had to be manually synced over to the mobile version. With Evernote, I can just drop anything into it--my own documents, PDFs, photos, files, whatever--and it's there on any device. 

Even with mobile syncing to DTP, I had to choose what I wanted to be mobile because it literally took up space on my iPad. With Evernote, if I've added a file like a PDF, it doesn't download to a mobile device unless I select it to download from within Evernote on the device. In other words, with DTP, I had to always think ahead about what I wanted to carry with me. 

And as for PDFs, I found (and again, I haven't used it recently) that the iOS version of DTP did not handle large files well without crashing. On my iPad, if I want to significantly interact with a PDF, although I can view it in Evernote, I tend to open it in GoodReader. 

DTP does have a server solution for making your files accessible over the internet, but this was more trouble than what I wanted for what I was doing.

I'm often on a Windows machine these days, and there's no DTP solution for Windows. Evernote is everywhere. There's an app for every kind of device, or at the very least, my content can be accessed via a web browser. 

• Abram K-J likes this

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

OS X

Windows

iOS

#9 Abram K-J

Abram K-J

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts

Posted Today, 09:36 AM

Well, I haven't used it in a long time, but when it first came out, content had to be manually synced over to the mobile version.

Ahem. What mobile app would require manual syncing? ;)

More about workflow: if you open a pdf in GoodReader (that is stored in Evernote), what if you want to annotate it in GoodReader and keep those annotations on the document for the next time you access it somewhere else? You can do that if you annotate from within Evernote, right? But is there a way to sync it (with changes) from GoodReader (or PDF Expert, iAnnotate, etc.) back to Evernote, where it sounds like you're storing it?

Abram K-J

#10 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,193 posts

Posted Today, 12:28 PM

Ahem. What mobile app would require manual syncing? ;)

Fair enough, but I don't use Accordance the way I use these other programs. On iOS I mainly want my Accordance texts because I use the iOS version primarily as a reader or to look up something quickly. As note-taking features improve on iOS, maybe I will use note-taking features more often. 

I know that mobile syncing of texts is faster than downloading them, but usually I just download. When I've had to install from scratch, I set it to download as I was going to bed. 

With Evernote, it's most handy to me if I have access to everything I've got stored there. Although DTP allows for the creation of RTF and plain text notes, I did not do a lot of composing in the app. I compose in Evernote because it's everywhere, and I can pick up where I left off regardless of what device is in front of me. I used DTP primarily for PDFs, but again, I had to choose which ones I took with me. 

I do hope we can eventually sync Library organization and preferences between Windows and Mac versions of Accordance one day. I kind of assume that will eventually happen, but don't take that to mean insider information. I've heard nothing on that front and probably couldn't tell you if I had.

More about workflow: if you open a pdf in GoodReader (that is stored in Evernote), what if you want to annotate it in GoodReader and keep those annotations on the document for the next time you access it somewhere else? You can do that if you annotate from within Evernote, right? But is there a way to sync it (with changes) from GoodReader (or PDF Expert, iAnnotate, etc.) back to Evernote, where it sounds like you're storing it?

I could do that manually. GoodReader has an iCloud folder. So, I could annotate a PDF in GoodReader on my iPad, save it to the iCloud folder (or a subfolder of the iCloud folder), and easily access it on my Mac. It could be accessed in Windows either at iCloud.com or if I were to install iCloud Drive in Windows (which I have not done on my Acer or Windows tablets because I can't specify saving the iCloud contents to a drive other than the main one--this may come later). Regardless, I could save the file to iCloud Drive from GoodReader and then from my Mac, place it back in Evernote. 

But that sounds like a pain, doesn't it? Originally there were no annotation tools for PDFs in Evernote at all. Now there are, but they are basically the Skitch tools, which I'm not wild about for most of what I might do in a PDF (highlighting and adding an occasional note). 

I spend too much time thinking about all this, but I basically use Evernote for five separate functions:

1. Miscellany. Evernote is a repository of all the miscellany that I might need access to: account numbers, login and password info, the name of my printer when I go to buy ink cartridges, my wife's favorite food orders if I'm picking up dinner, gift idea lists, a snapshot of my license plate for when I'm checking into a hotel so that I don't have to run back and look at it. You get the idea. It doesn't matter what device I'm using--I have access to all this stuff all the time. Good organization and keyword tagging are key, of course. 
  2. Research. Evernote is wonderful for research notes for the same reasons described above. Little snippets of information can be clipped from just about anywhere. I can organize it and have them with me at all times. 
  3. Composition. I often start on one device and finish on another. Or I may have an idea for something I've already begun working on when I only have my iPhone with me. I can simply pull up the same note. This morning, I posted a blog entry interviewing Tim Jenney about his new Bible Study Methods book in Accordance. I composed all of it in Evernote. I started the note as simply a list of questions for Tim. I shared the list with him through a URL that Evernote generated for sharing. After I interviewed Tim, I composed the blog post in that same note. Only near the end did I move the content over to the website software (where I never compose anything). In that whole process, I probably used at least three different devices to access the same note. Right now, the original interview copy is still in Evernote, but eventually, I'll export it as an HTML or PDF into an archived folder and delete the Evernote note. 
  4. PDFs and clipped articles. This is where Evernote primarily replaced DTP for me. I moved thousands of PDF files--mostly articles--into Evernote. I also clip articles from the Internet that I want to save directly to Evernote through the Clip to Evernote plug-in. 
  5. Read later content. I have a "*To Be Read" folder in Evernote that contains a lot of the web-clipped articles that I want to read later but may or may not save. I also recently begin using my Evernote email address for blog subscriptions (such as yours, Abram). These go straight into Evernote. I can read them and delete or save them to another folder if I want to keep them. 

It's the PDFs that I primarily rethink from time to time. I've experimented with having them in OneDrive, which I use fairly heavily, too. Or I could keep them in the GoodReader folder on my iCloud Drive and have easy access to them everywhere except in Windows, where it would take some extra steps to access them. Since I really like reading and annotating PDFs in GoodReader on my iPad, this is what I am strongly considering doing and leaving Evernote to the other four functions. 

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

OS X

Windows

iOS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

R. Mansfield