#1 Natan Rubenstein

Natan Rubenstein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted Today, 11:06 AM

Dear Accordance,

Thanks for your app and your hard work. I have a few requests that I hope you will soon address in your software.

1.     DSSB-C/M. I mainly use this module to cut and paste. But the simplistic method used to cross-index the text with the so-called biblical text makes for such a frustrating experience, I normally end up typing it out. For those of us who know this literature well, the cross references are fairly redundant to have in the text for two reasons:

a.     A scholar will know the text.

b.     It parallels with the Hebrew Bible.

2.     Repeat 1, 1a, 1b with the Ben Sira module in mind (and also please separate these out to a module for Ms A, B, C, D, E, F). Right now, these modules are problematic for getting precise search results.

3.     Point one raises another issue I have with DSSB-C/M and Qumran. Please create accompanying modules for each scroll and fragment, in accordance with the format as done in DJD. You claim these modules are transcriptions of DJD, then please make them appear as much in the presentation of the data. Your competitor, Logos, oddly enough has the upper hand on you here.

4.     Since I mentioned cut and paste, I get a pesky directional arrow in Mellel. This often occurs with the redundant (parenthesized) verse references. Please handle the data better. I purchased these modules mainly to save time from having to type in DJD related reconstructions in my research, but oddly I spend more time editing out the problems. Not good. I find it somewhat odd that a company whose leitmotif is the primacy of the text handles its digital reconstructions in such a cavalier manner.

I have many more items to bring to your attention, but for now I please ask for you to consider these critiques. I offer them here in the hopes that they will be heard and I believe should you implement them, you will have shown a great deal about your care for scholarly accuracy.

kul tov,

Natan Rubenstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users