Merry Christmas everyone!

Alistair

Hey Peter,

Many thanx as always.

Well I can get Kaspar Riemschneider's Lehrbuch des Akkadischen and Arthur Ungnad's Akkadian Grammar, in translation on inter-library loan.

And if that doesn't scare the willies out of me I can look into getting copies.

Could be fun. Hmm...

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

חג מולד שמח ושנה טובה

תשׁבוחתא לאלהא במרומא ועל ארעא שׁלמא וסברא טבא לבני אנשׁא

מברך הו מריא אלהא דתשׁבוחתא דסער עמה ועבד לה פורקנא

Edited by bkMitchell
  • Like 1

OK - Brian, I’ll bite - the first part makes perfect sense, but the line 2 and 3 look like gobbledygook to me...I think...

Peter - why did you post the New Jersey turnpike signs? ;-)

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

OK - Brian, I’ll bite - the first part makes perfect sense, but the line 2 and 3 look like gobbledygook to me...I think...

Peter - why did you post the New Jersey turnpike signs? ;-)

It's a quote from the Syriac NT Peshitta (Luke 2:14), but the Hebrew letters threw me off for a second, too - At first glance I thought it was Biblical Aramaic because of all the alephs. :)

Oh, whoops - sorry about that, Ken! Here, this should do it. ;)

post-32934-0-51545800-1419687692_thumb.png

Edited by Pchris

Hey Peter,

Many thanx as always.

Well I can get Kaspar Riemschneider's Lehrbuch des Akkadischen and Arthur Ungnad's Akkadian Grammar, in translation on inter-library loan.

And if that doesn't scare the willies out of me I can look into getting copies.

Could be fun. Hmm...

D

If you have any questions about the grammar, the exercises in Riemschneider or the nature of the language in general, feel free to PM me about it.

If you have any questions about the grammar, the exercises in Riemschneider or the nature of the language in general, feel free to PM me about it.

Many thanx

D

At, first I was worried if the fonts were showing up correctly, but it was suppose to be a bit of a challenge.

It's a quote from the Syriac NT Peshitta (Luke 2:14), but the Hebrew letters threw me off for a second, too - At first glance I thought it was Biblical Aramaic because of all the alephs. :)

You are right about the 2nd line! But, the third line was slightly modified from Luke 1:68.

כָּבוֹד בַּמְּרוֹמִים לֵאלֹהִים וּבָאָרֶץ שָׁלוֹם בְּאַנְשֵׁי רְצוֹנוֹ (Franz Delitzsch NT Luke 2:14)
תשׁבוחתא לאלהא במרומא ועל ארעא שׁלמא וסברא טבא לבני אנשׁא (Peshitta Luke 2:14)
בָּרוּךְ יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל כִּי פָקַד אֶת־עַמּוֹ וַיִּשְׁלַח לוֹ פְּדוּת (Franz Delitzsch NT Luke 1:68)
מברך הו מריא אלהה דאיסריל דסער עמה ועבד לה פורקנא׃ (Peshitta Luke 1:68)
מברך הו מריא אלהא דתשׁבוחתא דסער עמה ועבד לה פורקנא (what was posted above)
Edited by bkMitchell
  • Like 1

It may be a bit late, but Merry Christmas! Now, if Accordance wanted to give us all a great gift, they would come out with a change to the iPad version so we could turn pages like in ibooks.

At, first I was worried if the fonts were showing up correctly, but it was suppose to be a bit of a challenge.

You are right about the 2nd line! But, the third line was slightly modified from Luke 1:68.

כָּבוֹד בַּמְּרוֹמִים לֵאלֹהִים וּבָאָרֶץ שָׁלוֹם בְּאַנְשֵׁי רְצוֹנוֹ (Franz Delitzsch NT Luke 2:14)
תשׁבוחתא לאלהא במרומא ועל ארעא שׁלמא וסברא טבא לבני אנשׁא (Peshitta Luke 2:14)
בָּרוּךְ יְהֹוָה אֱלֹהֵי יִשְׂרָאֵל כִּי פָקַד אֶת־עַמּוֹ וַיִּשְׁלַח לוֹ פְּדוּת (Franz Delitzsch NT Luke 1:68)
מברך הו מריא אלהה דאיסריל דסער עמה ועבד לה פורקנא׃ (Peshitta Luke 1:68)
מברך הו מריא אלהא דתשׁבוחתא דסער עמה ועבד לה פורקנא (what was posted above)

Haha, shoot - forgot to check the third line. But thank you for the challenge!

With kind regards

Peter Christensen

Okay then, here goes:

EZEN GUB ša dUTU li-im-la ri-iš-tu!

Hey Peter, Quick question - is this in IPA ?

Actually looking at it again perhaps it's just a transliteration. I just found the capitalization interesting/unusual.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

You're perfectly right, it's merely a transliteration. Capitalization is used for sumerograms (such as EZEN, GUB and UTU) in order to differentiate between Sumerian and Akkadian. Akkadian texts are usually full of Sumerian words. Capitalization is also employed for special word compounds, which together produce an entirely different meaning than the sum of the individual signs. This construction is seen in both Sumerian and Akkadian texts. For the Sumerian word compound for "shepherd" (ensi), one would write the following: ensix(PA.TE.SI) with "x" indicating that we're dealing with a ligature. PA means "scepter", TE means "cheek", and SI means "horn".

Finally, capitalization may be used when the transliterator is uncertain of what is supposed to be read. This is usually the case with words that are only partially visible, and for expressions/compounds that we don't understand. For instance, if we didn't have material that showed us that PA.TE.SI is to be read "ensi", we would never have figured out on our own what the combination of PA.TE.SI meant due to the polyvalent nature of cuneiform signs.

Also notice the elevated lower case "d" right before UTU (Šamaš): That is called a determinative and is written right before various words serving as a classifier, with "d" being one of many. Being classifiers and not a part of the word per se, they're not to be read either. The "d" is the cuneiform sign DINGIR, which means "god" and is always written before the names of divine beings.

Edited by Pchris

Ah ok, many thanx, very interesting. I can see when the books arrive this is going to hurt :)

Thx again

D