• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

Joe, this would be a good time to ask you. Do you use QS for within Accordance for anything else? (perhaps you could start another thread on it if it is a long list)

I'm impressed with the amount of keyboard shortcuts Accordance puts in, and knowing how to use proxies with QS is great too.

There are two things in particular I would like to do without the keyboard that I can't (I don't think anyway). If I had my NRSV open in a tab and would like to open my Josephus module, I'd like to do it with some sort of keystroke or via QS somehow. As far as I know, this isn't doable. Neither is adding a particular text pane to the front window (or user notes or reference tools). Can this be done?

Basically I would like to be able to gain access to stuff on the resource palette with keystrokes or QS.

I don't use QS alot in Accordance, cause normally all I do is read the bible in Accordance. When I'm working on a project that is doing alot more interaction, I tend to script it out.
I would resonate with your comment about the resource palette. It used to be an Apple Human Interface standard to have nothing in a toolbar that wasn't available in a menu. While we can select submenu titles directly to amplify or open new window using the Resource palette, from the menu bar we only have the option to Amplify. There is no comparable "New" menu with all those submenu options. Hence, can't create direct triggers for then. This is also the case for panes... there's no menu for a new pane.

Let me tell you about one QS feature however that very handy in apps with a bunch of menu items. If you enable the plug-in "User Interface", then you can use the QS proxy "Current Application" - "Show menu items" which brings up a QS popup with EVERY menu item in the entire application. I have this set to the Trigger Control Option M... so, in order to bring up a General Tool, all I do is:

1. Control Option M
2. gen
3. return

If the tool I want is a few from the top listing, just use:

Control Down Arrow

The QS proxy "Current Application" - "Show menu items" is VERY useful.

#22 danzac

danzac

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:NT, historical Jesus, DSS, NT Backgrounds

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:25 AM

Thanks Joe. I've learned this trick recently from the 43 folders podcast, it is one of my new favorite uses for QS.

I too would like to see all things available in the menus. Maybe someone should suggest this to Roy Brown.

#23 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,021 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:52 AM

We do read and note all your suggestions, we're just too busy implementing a long list of new features to respond to each one.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#24 Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

Joe,

I was coming back to forums to let you know that with some help with someone at Apple's Applescript discussion forum I figured out how to use the Script with Automator. Because I was using Automators "Ask for a file" element, I needed to change "open" to "run." They also helped me adapt it to copy to the clipboard, although I also set one up to paste to the frontmost app; I figure I'll see which way works best.

When I got here, I found your last post and a new script. Thanks so much! I'm sure I'll learn a lot from it.

Danny,

I did give Quicksilver a whirl when it was first mentioned here. But I never really got my head around it. I was already using Butler by then, and it seemed like an awfull lot of time and energy would be needed to learn a new way of doing things that were already working well for me with Butler. I also didn't care for QS's graphic interface, or for the fact that it sat in the Dock whereas Butler is "invisible." I think QS, Butler, and Launchbar are all three great apps (though I know Launchbar by reputation only--I've never tried it). Which one of the three is "best" probably depends on a combination of what one needs/wants to do, how one's brain works, and (in some cases) which app one learns first.

Running Accordance on:

Mac 10.9 (Mavericks)

iOS 7 (iPad)

Windows Vista Home Premium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users