Jump to content


Photo

AccUpdater and file sizes


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Darrik Spaude

Darrik Spaude

    Member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Minnesota
  • Interests:Bible study, God's creation, photography, videography, gardening
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 27 April 2007 - 07:47 PM

Hello,

I noticed that I'm not the only one who has had a > 4 hour download. I would assume that many of us are still using dial-up modem connections and so large files take a long time. For example, about 10 MB takes about 1 hour. It would be really swell if the AccUpdater widget would show file sizes and let we humans figure out how long we think that will take us on our brand of Internet connection. Also, by adding the file sizes then the progress of the downloads could be given instead of the "Downloading..." message.

I also have a strange issue, however. I updated the KJVS module from 2.5 to 2.6. The kjvs.zip file is only 7.6 MB (found in /tmp/AccUpdates once it was downloaded) and so it should have only taken about 45 minutes. However, it took over 3.5 hours AT LEAST (I left for work before it finished). It was the only thing being downloaded. There was no other network traffic (spam relay, port scanning, etc.--I checked using tcpdump). So why such a long time? What else was AccUpdater downloading???

Thanks for your time,
Darrik
P.S. I had version 2.1.2 when I did this. I just downloaded the 2.1.3 widget. Do the widgets get listed in the AccUpdater list now in 2.1.3?

#2 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

    Administrator

  • Admin
  • 3,046 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows

Posted 28 April 2007 - 02:53 PM

I'm not sure why the download took a long time, but I'm almost positive it had little to do with the AccUpdater. It only downloads the files that you tell it to. You mentioned checking other network traffic, but did you check for the total amount of information recieved? It should have been only the 7.6 megs plus maybe another 50K for the module information. My guesses are to why it took a long time were: a) something else holding up your network (on your machine, or perhaps the ISP end). B) a poor modem connection. c) more than just the kjvs were selected to be downloaded. Again, the AccUpdater doesn't download a thing besides what you tell it to, so there must have been some other reason the download took to long.

As to your feature request, I initially had planned to put both a file size and some sort of progress bar on the widget, but initial research made such a request seem a bit unfeasible. I do think it is high time for me to look into it again and see what type of additional information i can unearth, so I will do some research and *hopefully* include it in the next release.
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users