26 replies to this topic

#21 Marco V. Fabbri

Marco V. Fabbri

Silver

• Accordance
  • 146 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:01 AM

No. I think with the amount of controversy surrounding the VAT that the GNT-VAT would not appeal to the whole of Accordance users.

Justin, perhaps I have not made my point clearly enough. I am not suggesting that this module would appeal the the whole of users.

Accordance and Bibleworks until now have offered the same thing, that is, the two modules separately. There is no difference in this. They also offer a way to search both of them at the same time. In Accordance I find it especially easy.

It just came to my mind that a whole VAT module would serve the particular need of those who think they would prefer the have the NT and the LXX together in one module. A VAT module, or a Sinaiticus module, or an Alexandrinus module. I singled out the Vaticanus because the GNT-VAT is already offered as a module.

Far be it from me to suggest that it should replace the existing tagged GNT. I think that testual criticism is a needed tool, and I prefer to use critical editions.

However, there is no critical edition of the Greek OT + Greek NT as a whole.

At the moment, the only critical edition of the LXX that meets the standard of GNT is the Gottingen edition, but at the moment that isn't available in electronic format. I think we both wish it were. If it were, I would be an early adopter.

I am not sure that I understand in what sense the Codex Vaticanus is controversial, at least among scholars. It is quite clear to everybody that Vaticanus and Sinaiticus are the two most ancient Greek manuscripts that include both the OT and the NT. If they are controversial, then also the Rahlfs' edition is controversial, as it is based upon them.

The Rahlfs' edition is a so-called pocket edition, based on just three manuscripts: A (Alexandrinus), B (Vaticanus), and Sinaiticus (sometimes a fourth, Venetus, is used: see the books of the Maccabees). In order to make decisions about his text, Rahlfs followed a majority rule: if the three agree, that is the text. If they disagree two to one, he prefers the two. Sometimes the text form is so different, that he offers them separately, as in Judges or Tobit. Unimportant scribal errors are ignored.

As I see it, there would still be an important practical problem that need to be solved when preparing a single-manuscript edition: a few books are missing from the Codex Vaticanus, and the first and the last pages have been torn away. Genesis starts from chapter 46. The Apocalypse is missing. This would make the Alexandrinus a better choice, even if it is later.

The good thing is that we can discuss this while we already have the Rahlfs's edition. There are different ways to add to this wealth. The best one for scholars would be to prepare an electronic edition of the Gottingen Septuagint. Another way would be to offer single manuscripts just as they are. The two options would serve very different needs.

Edited by Marco, 18 October 2007 - 06:03 AM.

Marco Valerio Fabbri
P. UniversitÓ della S. Croce
Rome, Italy

#22 Ruben Gomez

Ruben Gomez

Gold

• Accordance
  • 244 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 08:54 AM

I would not mind seeing a single module of LXX-GNT, but I think that Accordance would want to use texts that would appeal to the whole of their user base. I think that is what BibleWorks has done. While some individuals may disagree with the GNT text that they choose, it is still a main stream text, that should be the aim.

I agree. I think what BibleWorks has done is the way to go. I cast my vote for a LXX-GNT module.

#23 Marco V. Fabbri

Marco V. Fabbri

Silver

• Accordance
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 10:28 AM

I agree. I think what BibleWorks has done is the way to go. I cast my vote for a LXX-GNT module.

Thank you, Ruben, for making clear that such module actually exists. I was confused by the BibleWorks web page.
Marco Valerio Fabbri
P. UniversitÓ della S. Croce
Rome, Italy

#24 Justin Burt

Justin Burt

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Backpacking, and Traveling.

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:37 AM

I am not sure that I understand in what sense the Codex Vaticanus is controversial...

Marco,

First I must apologize for my misunderstanding of what you had written. I agree that there is no controversy surrounding the Codex Vaticanus. I was thinking of the text by Westcott & Hort that was based on the Codex Vaticanus that some argue is not a good text, mainly people of the TR persuasion. But I do think we are wanting the same thing.
Justin Burt

#25 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:32 PM

I was thinking of the text by Westcott & Hort that was based on the Codex Vaticanus that some argue is not a good text, mainly people of the TR persuasion.

Well, if a TR enthusiast despisea the WH edition, she should hate the Nestle edition that we're all using even more.

#26 Justin Burt

Justin Burt

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Backpacking, and Traveling.

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:38 PM

Well, if a TR enthusiast despisea the WH edition, she should hate the Nestle edition that we're all using even more.

You would be surprised by the stand some of my colleagues take on this issue.
Justin Burt

#27 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,040 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:51 PM

I think we are getting a little off-topic, guys?
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users