Timeline: Entering dates

Thomas

In the Timeline Supplement it states "lightly uncertain dates are entered in the same way, but modified with Circa in the pop-up menus, e.g. ca. -450 to ca. -430. If Circa is selected, the Last date is ignored" (T7-3).

I am trying to enter a ca. begin date of -1190 -1185 and keep getting a the pop-up: "End time must not be less than Begin time." The instructions state "f Circa is selected, the Last date is ignored" yet I am getting a prompt.

This is complex, but I think the message is telling you to enter a First date for the end of the event, in the second line of boxes beside the End label. It is not referring to the Last date of the beginning of the event.

Here's a better picture (see attachement). Notice how I have to enter an END date to get the first ca. date to appear (see the details screen: ca. -1190-1185 being the only date I'm after with no "to" field). It doesn't make sense to require an end date when using only a ca. begin date where that date has an optional begin date.

I agree that there seem to be two anomalies, and we will look into them, no promises:

Circa is not ignoring but is displaying the Last date for the beginning

Whichever type of date is chosen in the pop-up menus, if you have a last date for the Beginning you must specify an End date

You may not be able to set the date exactly the way you want it to appear, sorry! I do not know if this is an old bug or has always been there. You seem to be really pushing the limits of this feature, which is, as far as I know, unique to our software.

;) Well, the good side of all this is that you see how your users are thoroughly using the program. I'll leave the dates as formatted then.

Thanks again,

Thomas

Archived