• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 teambeck

teambeck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 12:06 PM

Since Web 2.0 is the announced means for developers to write iPhone applications, I would like to see a Web 2.0 version of Accordance and this seems very practical. Here are a few random connected thoughts regarding what this would mean and look like.
  • Subscription model. There would be a free version with public domain Bibles. Start out here for initial development. Then as you get to a solid 1.0 version, people could subscribe to the Bibles they want. (This could be another income stream for the company.)
  • Start small and create the focused killer app. Accordance's basic, well implemented, fast search capabilities would be part of what makes this a compelling app to beat all the other online Bible tools which are hard to use/not intuitive.
  • Base the interface off of Accordance. Make as much room, interface wise, as possible for Bible text and reference display. That is the reason you have a Bible. Too much interface clutter makes it not a Bible program.
  • I've noticed many web pages now have the ability to display pop up text when you hover your mouse over a word. This has obvious parallels to the instant details window.
  • The key to the success of such an app would be to make it as Mac and Accordance like as possible, IMO. Get the basic parts of Accordance well implemented (compelling in and of itself) and then begin to add features as they can be elegantly implemented.
  • Cool things. Can you imagine multi-touch being used on the Bible text? Swipe down to scroll through the Bible text. Swipe left or right to go to the chapter prior or after.
Wanting Accordance on my iPhone to be *THE* Bible app on the iPhone! Mike

#2 countach

countach

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:07 AM

Wait for Steve Jobs to cave on a dev kit.

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 7,758 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 24 June 2007 - 06:39 AM

I thought we had already addressed this issue on the Forum or Blog, but I cannot find it, so I guess it has just been in repeated emails.

The new announcement only invites developers to write applications for Safari (Web 2 applications) which will then run on the iPhone. This limits the iPhone to web applications. Accordance cannot be made to run inside Safari. No doubt there will be Bible software that can run on it, but how that will be different from accessing a Bible search site on the web, I cannot imagine.

Whenever Apple makes full OS X functionality available on a handheld, we will certainly attempt to adapt Accordance to that hardware/software, but until then it would be a waste of our time. Accordance works as it does because it is not a web based application. If we tried to convert it, it would end up being a text reader with simple search and display functions only.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#4 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 04:14 PM

If we tried to convert it, it would end up being a text reader with simple search and display functions only.

But what's wrong with that? That's all I really need. If I want to use the full features of Accordance, I'll sit at my computer, not try to use the small screen on a phone.

I think you're right that someone will produce a web 2.0 Bible for the iPhone. If I get an iPhone (and that's still a pretty big IF), I would want a simple Bible reader. Right now, I use the Bible Reader from Olive Tree Software on my Treo. I have installed the Greek NT and the NASB with Greek and Hebrew dictionaries. These are all that I need in the rare situation that I'm not near one of my computers.

I realize it might also be a matter of resources on OakTree's part as well, but I'd say consider making a basic text reader Bible for the iPhone. Call it Accordance-lite. Folks like me are going to want this kind of thing, and we'll spend our money somewhere. Frankly, I'd rather support OakTree than someone else.
___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#5 superhua

superhua

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

Although only in Greek and with other limitations, I found this interface at Zhubert interesting. Perhaps a good way to read Greek on the Internet?

#6 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:37 PM

Though this is completely off topic, I am writing this reply from a fancy new iPhone! Its pretty sweet. :)
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#7 jarcher

jarcher

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:38 PM

That hurts, Joel. That really hurts...

Jeremy

BTW, how's the browsing on the iPhone?

#8 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 7,758 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 08:50 PM

Hey! Don't get the wrong idea, he was just trying it out at the AT&T store. He didn't actually buy it though I am sure he would love to.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#9 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,355 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 09:47 PM

That hurts, Joel. That really hurts...

Jeremy

BTW, how's the browsing on the iPhone?

Yeah, I was just playing with it, thought I'd check up on my favorite site :) Anyway, browsing is like they said, just like real browsing. Flash doesn't work, but everything else was 100% accurate. Scrolling and zooming with the fingers was quick and easy. Typing took a bit of getting used to, but I'm confident that after a few days of use it'd be far faster than any sort of existing cellphone typing. Any other questions? *if* I end up buying it, it'll be at least a few week, probably more like a few months so I can see how the bugs work out (and save some money).
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#10 techmate

techmate

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

I was at an apple store today. I wanted one very bad. I decided to wait about a month or so for the bugs to get worked to......ok I lied its because Im cashless and my wife will kill me if I get one right now. So basically Ill hold off so I dont have to sleep on the floor :)

#11 jarcher

jarcher

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:26 PM

Though this is completely off topic, I am writing this reply from a fancy new iPhone! Its pretty sweet. :)

This however was sent for an iPhone. :-)

Gotta love working in IT. Great company paid benefits.

#12 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 12:43 AM

I decided to get an iPhone. The main application I miss that was on my Treo is a Bible program :-(
___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#13 techmate

techmate

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:03 AM

I decided to get an iPhone. The main application I miss that was on my Treo is a Bible program :-(

I'm thinking ebible is a good web based app for some basic Bible study on the iPhone.

#14 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:12 AM

I'm thinking ebible is a good web based app for some basic Bible study on the iPhone.

I'm sure someone will make a web 2.0 page based on one of these sites that will show up well on the iPhone's browser. But I've seen no good solutions yet.
___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#15 techmate

techmate

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:49 AM

I'm sure someone will make a web 2.0 page based on one of these sites that will show up well on the iPhone's browser. But I've seen no good solutions yet.

Have you looked at ebible on the iPhone yet? Does it not display well on it?

#16 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 11:52 PM

Have you looked at ebible on the iPhone yet? Does it not display well on it?

It's not ideal. It would do in a pinch, but there's still a need for a true iPhone formatted scripture client.
___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#17 techmate

techmate

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 09:52 PM

Theres a website now that has the bible page for the iphone
http://www.godsiphone.com/

#18 jarcher

jarcher

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:11 AM

Theres a website now that has the bible page for the iphone
http://www.godsiphone.com/

That looks pretty good. I've also been using:

http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/mobile/

#19 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:36 AM

If anyone's interested, I posted a review of three iPhone Bible apps on my blog last night.
___
Rick Mansfield

RMansfield@mac.com
twitter.com/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

#20 jarcher

jarcher

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:54 AM

I figured this would arrive soon.

BTW, Rick, congrats on getting mentioned on Justin's blog.

Edited by jarcher, 26 July 2007 - 02:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users