Recycling

countach

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not understanding how to use the recycling feature effectively.

I'm finding it confusing. If I have window A at a passage A and then click a commentary, it opens another tab. Fine.

Then if I start a second window B at passage B then I unclick the recycle in window A's commentary to make sure I get a new commentary page in window B, then click commentary, I get the second commentary page in window B. Fine.

Now I have two windows A, with a bible and commentary tab, and B with a bible and commentary tab.

All well and good.

But now if I go back to considering window A, I select another passage, then (if I remember) I click the recycle in the commentary before searching the new passage in the commentary, now I get that passage opened in the commentary in both windows A and B, which is not what I want.

Now to lookup the commentary in Window A without wrecking my work in Window B takes 9 clicks:

1) Click A Commentary tab.

2) Click turn on recycle

3) Click Window B

4) Click B Commentary tab.

5) Turn off recycle.

6) Click B Bible tab (to return to previous state)

7) Click Window A

8) Click A bible tab.

9) Click Commentary from resource pallet.

Now imagine I've got a large display, with 10 windows in which I am researching 10 passages. Each window has a bible tab and a commentary tab.

Now the problem is multiplied, I've got to visit all 10 windows to make sure recycle is turned off in every one. That makes about 50 clicks for what should be one click: looking up a commentary.

It seems to me that you did an amplify from pane or tab X resulting in a change to pane Y, then Accordance should use pane Y (and only pane Y) the next time I do the same amplify from pane X (providing of course, pane Y has recycle enabled).

This would be overriden by double clicking the recycle icon to the on position on a different pane, which would mean "forget past history, I want to recycle THIS pane the next time I do an amplify to this text". In this case, it would choose the last pane on which the recycle icon was clicked to the on position, instead of just recycling every possible instance, or the historically last instance from the other pane. This could be indicated by making the recycle icon turn red when it (a) has been turned back on and ( b ) it is the last pane of that resource to be turned on. This indicates it is now prioritized for the next amplification. This state would only last temporarily until any new amplification is done.

I am afraid that I cannot follow what you are doing, since you are not being specific as to what you are doing when you click "commentary." There are many ways to "amplify" and it all depends what you are trying to accomplish.

If the commentary is open in a pane in a search window, it tracks to match the verse at the top of the Search window, so just scrolling the window to another passage updates the commentary.

Triple-click on a verse reference in the Bible text opens a separate tab with your top commentary or notes. Selecting a verse reference in Bible text and amplifying to a reference tool also opens a separate tab (or window). That tab will recycle if you perform the same function, i.e. look up the same commentary from another verse reference, unless you click the recycle button to turn it off.

Clicking on a verse reference in a tool opens a Text window with the default text, or recycles any open Text windows with the recycle on.

The confusion seems to arise because you are using the hypertext and amplify functions from within the commentary pane in the Search window, but you are not specifying what you are doing.

In a tool pane (as opposed to a Tool window):

Clicking on a verse reference in a tool pane of a Search window opens a Text window with the default text for that tool, plus the search text from the search window, or recycles any open Text windows with the recycle on. If the pane is in a recyclable Text window, it also recycles itself.

If you click an internal reference in a commentary (in a pane) you will jump the commentary in that pane to that point in the commentary, and the Bible text will go to the closest verse it is showing. You now have a Prior button to retrace your steps.

If you select words in the tool pane and amplify to any module in the Resource palette (or contextual menu), it will open a new tab unless that module is already open, recyclable, and the search field is the correct one.

I think that you are using Text windows to study passages rather than Search windows. Search windows only recycle when you choose the same text to search, via the palette, and if the recycle is on. You cannot set the recycling for panes, since all panes match each other (though tool panes display the entire tool). I think that if you open additional Search windows for your different passages you will work out a smoother work flow for your studies.

However, all Text windows and tabs recycle (unless turned off) whenever you click a verse reference in a tool

Well, I can sympathize with your confusion, because now I'm thoroughly confused! ;-)

It sounds like you're expecting the commentary windows to maintain some kind of backward link to the text window you amplified from, so that when you update text window A, commentary window A gets recycled, but if you update text window B, commentary window B gets recycled. You can do something like this by using multiple workspace windows and checking the "Confine hypertext to the same workspace" option in the Appearance settings of the preferences. What you would do in this case is set up one workspace window with a tab for Text A, and another workspace window with a tab for Text B. When you amplify to a commentary from any of these text windows, a tab will open up in that workspace displaying the commentary passage which corresponds to the text you amplified from. The commentaries in other workspaces will remain unaffected, even if recycling is turned on. With a large monitor, this might be the best way to go.

Another option is not to open a separate commentary window at all, but to display the commentary for each text in a parallel pane. For example, in your window with Text A, select your commentary from the Add Reference Pane button in the Search window (beneath the OK button). This will open a new pane displaying the parallel section of commentary for your passage. When you change the passage displayed in that window, the commentary will automatically keep pace, and if you have another text in another window, its parallel panes will scroll along with it.

I hope this helps. If I haven't fully understood what you're after, please explain further.

Thanks, the "Confine hypertext to the same workspace" achieves what I want in this instance.

The slight flaw is that one is then confined to working one way or the other.

If there was a checkbox or menu item for "Confine hypertext to the same workspace" so that only the current window (workspace) becomes a self-contained island it would be the best of both worlds. The preference would then become merely the default for new workspaces.

Archived