9 replies to this topic

#1 caorongjin

caorongjin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 31 July 2007 - 12:26 AM

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the Bible Import feature support Unicode characters. The standard Chinese Bible translation (Chinese Union Version) is in the public domain and I would love to have it side by side with all my other resources -- but it is neither available from Accordance nor can I import it because it uses non-Roman characters. And, I am disappointed to say, it is available as a free module for Logos.

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,246 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 31 July 2007 - 01:44 AM

We do not yet have Unicode capability within Accordance, but hope to add it in the not-too-distant future. I doubt you will be able to import Unicode texts, but we will make as many as possible available as soon as we can.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 caorongjin

caorongjin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 02:57 AM

Sorry, what do you mean by:

but we will make as many as possible available as soon as we can.

#4 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 03:19 AM

Once we can handle Unicode texts we will do our best to make Bibles available in Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc., etc.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#5 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.

Posted 31 July 2007 - 06:27 AM

I was wondering if it would be possible to have the Bible Import feature support Unicode characters. The standard Chinese Bible translation (Chinese Union Version) is in the public domain and I would love to have it side by side with all my other resources -- but it is neither available from Accordance nor can I import it because it uses non-Roman characters. And, I am disappointed to say, it is available as a free module for Logos.

Just in case you were not aware of it, MacSword supports Chinese Bible display (not sure which translation, and unsure about search capabilities):

http://www.macsword....nshots/?lang=en
J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#6 caorongjin

caorongjin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

Once we can handle Unicode texts we will do our best to make Bibles available in Chinese, Korean, Japanese, etc., etc.

Thanks for the clarity. I would imagine the Unicode support is quite a task. Thanks for the info!

Just in case you were not aware of it, MacSword supports Chinese Bible display (not sure which translation, and unsure about search capabilities):

Yes, I was aware but I hate redundancy and I have multiple programs to do the same things throughout my computer (OpenOffice-NeoOffice-Mellel-Pages, iChat-Adium, Safari-Firefox, Accordance-MacSword). Besides, MacSword is a bit buggy (keeps crashing) and has a sloppy interface and is one of the reasons I bought Accordance. And, to answer your question, all MacSword does is a standard free-text search. And they support both the Chinese Union Version (the defacto standard Chinese) and the New Chinese Version (which is gaining a lot of momentum these days).

Edited by caorongjin, 31 July 2007 - 11:47 AM.

#7 caorongjin

caorongjin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:50 AM

I posted about this a year ago and was wondering if there is any progress in this area. Correct me if I am wrong, but Accordance 8 is supposed to have better Unicode support. I have tried importing some Chinese public domain Bibles into Accordance but it failed miserably. I suppose it still requires Mac Roman encoding?

#8 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

We still plan to do this, but Intel support was a higher priority, sorry!
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#9 caorongjin

caorongjin

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:45 AM

And Intel support was GREATLY appreciated. :) Thanks for the update.

#10 Keith Foster

Keith Foster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:35 AM

Hi Helen,

I just bought Accordance 8 and could not find any Chinese bibles on the list as expected. How much progress is being made on this?

Note: I am leading overseas tertiary students' bible study and could really use a chinese bible to translate all the bible verses in english to chinese and print them out - so save them having to look up the verses which takes them a long time because they don't know the bible nor english well.

Edited by Keith Foster, 18 July 2009 - 12:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users