Apostolic Fathers - Holmes module
Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:54 PM
I have a quick question. Baker is releasing the 3rd edition of this work in a couple months. I can't tell from the publisher 'blurb" whether its just a reformatting and placement in a hardcover binding
whether it is a significant update with additional critical analysis of manuscripts and additional incorporation of UK and continental critical editions.
I don't mind purchasing the SW for searching, etc., but I'd like to know if the texts and apparatus has changed significantly-- and if so, is there an Accordance update planned in the next 6-9 months (no pressure! )
Posted 14 August 2007 - 02:28 PM
Sorry if my previous posting was opaque...
1) Is Accordance aware that Baker Academic is releasing the 3rd edition of the print version of this work (The Apostolic Fathers: Greek Texts and English Translations) in a couple months?
2) Is the 3rd edition print version significantly different from what you have released or did you also have intermediate content from Michael Holmes?
3) Is there an upgrade planned planned in the next 6-9 months?
(No pressure, just would like to know if its planned).
Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:22 PM
Your questions were perfectly clear the first time, I just don't have an answer! I guess it is: No, we were not aware they are doing a new edition, no we have no intermediate material, no, we are not planning an update any time soon.
There are several kinds of updates to Accordance modules:
- Modules that are created for us are often released in a preliminary form and updated as new material is added or corrections are made.
- Certain texts such as the Hebrew Bible are regularly updated by the scholars who produce them, and those updates are passed on to us, and can be incorporated into Accordance relatively easily.
- Corrections to our own versions of all modules are incorporated regularly: corrections of formatting, hypertext links, spelling (especially texts that were originally scanned), etc.
- New editions of "books" from a publisher are a different matter. We put many months of work into creating most of our modules. In the case of Apostolic Fathers we tagged the Greek text ourselves, as well as formatted the Notes and the Latin and English modules. To get a new text from Baker and release it is to have to repeat all that work over again. This would distract us from the preparation of new material of which we have plenty. Unless the publisher can supply a list of all the changes for us to incorporate into our etexts, we are reluctant to release a new edition, unless we have to.
Posted 14 August 2007 - 11:45 PM
Thanks for the information. I understood that you tagged the text, but I wasn't aware how much bespoke formatting there is on the texts you receive from the publishers.
I just read David Lang's blog entry today on the creation of the ABD module and it makes it much clearer, how much work can be involved depending on the format, etc. received from the publisher.
A standard publishing format along with a standard parseable language for deltas (or even 'diff files') in etexts would go a long way in making your job easier!!
Thanks for your candor, this helps a lot. I know how to proceed [with expanding my library ].
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users