User Bible Preparation

jbritterjr

I have prepared my txt file with MacRoman Encoding. I have used both Textwrangler and Textedit on the document, but when I try to import the file and create a new User Bible, I get the following error message:

This text cannot be imported, because it is a Unicode text file or has invalid characters.

You must save the source file with MacRoman Text encoding, or us a standard ASCII file.

As far as I know I have applied the MacRoman encoding. I even switched to ASCII and tried importing the file again. What am I missing here?

Maybe you have line feeds there instead of carriage returns? If you use TextEdit, you must convert it to plain text and then look for and remove any strange characters, then save it as .txt with plain text encoding. Otherwise TextEdit exports as unicode and RTF.

Maybe you have line feeds there instead of carriage returns? If you use TextEdit, you must convert it to plain text and then look for and remove any strange characters, then save it as .txt with plain text encoding. Otherwise TextEdit exports as unicode and RTF.

Wow. Fast response is greatly appreciated.

I found my "strange characters" removed them and now I can import.

Thanks again!

I've found that Pages is excellent for preparing user Bibles. That might sound strange, but it's true. Get everything the way you want it in Pages, then export it as .txt and it works flawlessly. That's also really nice if you're working on your own translation, because then you can do all your work in Pages, which is far prettier to look at than some text editors, and easily export to a .txt file when you want to update your translation in Accordance.

Archived