Charles Stock

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 08 September 2007 - 12:56 PM

I am missing Lamentation 3:22-24 in the LXX

Is it the Ralf's edition or is there something wrong with my text module?

From the NET Notes (cited below) I gather that there are LXX verses for this portion of Lamentation.

tc The MT reads tDmVnw… (tamnu) “indeed we are [not] cut off,” Qal perfect 1st person common plural from t;DmAM (tamam, “be finished”): “[Because of] the kindnesses of the LORD, we are not cut off.” However, the ancient versions (LXX, Syriac Peshitta, Aramaic Targum) and many medieval Hebrew MSS preserve the alternate reading t;Dm;w… (tammu), Qal perfect 3rd person common plural from t;DmAM (tamam, “to be finished”): “The kindnesses of the LORD never cease.”

Sorry for the scrambled characters. I don't know how to put the Hebrew font into this posting.

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,237 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:19 PM

These verses are apparently missing from Rahlf's edition, but do occur in Swete's edition. I do not have a hard copy here to check, so I am open to correction.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Robb Brunansky

Robb Brunansky

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 08 September 2007 - 01:43 PM

I checked my hard copy of Rahlf's and these verses are indeed missing, as well as verse 29. I don't have Swete's edition, so I'm no help there.
Soli Deo Gloria,
Robb Brunansky

#4 William Varner

William Varner

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Greek exegesis, hermeneutics, patristics, Civil War, grandchildren

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:50 PM

The oldest uncial Greek texts of the LXX (Sinaiticus, A and B) do not contain these verses. The 5th century text called Ephraemi Rescriptus © and Origen's Hexapla do contain them, as well as the Masoretic Text, as you know.
On the strength of the old codices, Rahlf's ed. omitted them. On the strength of Origen and C and the MT, evidently Swete included them. In support of their antiquity is their inclusion in the Targums and the Syriac versions. It is also interesting that Jerome included them in the Vulgate so they must have been in his Hebrew mss.

I do not have an explanation for their absence in some old Greek mss. I do not have my sources here to check if they have shown up in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Will

#5 Charles Stock

Charles Stock

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 05:23 AM

This is informative. I am once again impressed with the level of involvement and the vigor of the Accordance Forums community. Thanks to all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users