Photo

Best way to compile information while studying?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Tom Castle

Tom Castle

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 15 December 2007 - 07:34 PM

Update:
I'm not sure what happened... I uninstalled Quicksilver and reinstalled it. For whatever reason, after setting everything up the exact same way, it is now working perfectly.

Thanks to Joe who spent some of his precious time trying to help me.

I was even able to setup a two keystroke combo to copy as citation... VERY cool.

Edited by Tom Castle, 15 December 2007 - 09:48 PM.

In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

#22 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 15 December 2007 - 11:15 PM

Sorry I was gone a day, guys... weather here brought extra time at the church.
Tom, I had concluded things were just wrong with preferences or something with your QS install, so was going to recommend uninstalling and starting from scratch--but I see you were a step ahead of me.
Justin, glad you found the Apple Blog vidcasts... they are very helpful, I think.

I've just written a new Quicksilver action that some folks will find especially tasty.

#23 Justin Burt

Justin Burt

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Backpacking, and Traveling.

Posted 16 December 2007 - 02:31 AM

Is there a reason you use a text file as opposed to one that excepts unicode? I think that going into a program like Pages might make things go even faster, unless the fonts do not carry over.
Justin Burt

#24 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 16 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

Is there a reason you use a text file as opposed to one that excepts unicode? I think that going into a program like Pages might make things go even faster, unless the fonts do not carry over.

Justin, Two things.

First, I use a text file called "swap.txt" for reasons that some geeks will know...but you can use a text file with a name suitable to what you're doing. "My notes" "Collective ideas" "Daily journal" You can have several text files going for quick adding to.

Secondly, the quick "Append to" function is just a non-interface way of collecting stuff into a file you don't even have to have open. You can easily have an action that pastes stuff in TextEdit (or anything). This can be done to preserve font and style information in most cases (Unicode IS plain text and can be put into the previous method). But remember that this would require the document to be open, or to have it opened if it's not already. Such an action would simply grab the the highlighted text in Accordance and paste it into TextEdit. (I have used something like this often in the past.)
I can provide such a thing if you can not find it otherwise.

Joe
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#25 Tom Castle

Tom Castle

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 16 December 2007 - 11:03 PM

I've just written a new Quicksilver action that some folks will find especially tasty.

Hey Joe. No problems. I figured you were busy. Wanna tell us about that action?
In HIS Eternal Service,
Tom Castle
**If we will do God's work, in God's way, at God's time, with God's power, we shall have God's blessings!!**

#26 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 17 December 2007 - 12:00 AM

Hey Joe. No problems. I figured you were busy. Wanna tell us about that action?

I finished a complete converter from Unicode Greek to Helena Greek. With it, you can now do stuff like highlight some Unicode Greek text in a pdf or a web browser or whatever, and then with a key stroke have it look up that inflected form or phrase in your favorite Greek text or Greek tool in Accordance.
If folks seem interested, I'll get it in shape to make it public.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#27 dgzylstra

dgzylstra

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Music (especially Canadian independent rock). Computers, comic books, my kids, my wife (this is obviously not in order of importance), reading, etc....

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:09 AM

Could others out there share how you use Accordance in compiling and storing information as you study? User Notes or User Tools?

Thanks

I find myself using a variety of software as well. I quite often use Personal Brain for working out my rough thoughts on a text and for making connections with other thoughts and ideas. Then I will compile more specific exegetical notes on texts in User Notes in Accordance. I use the reference lists sometimes, but I'm still getting used to that function of Accordance. For writing my sermon (or papers) I put the information into Pages. I also use Yep to compile my PDFs (I have a lot of them, as I try to stay as paperless as possible). In order to find all of this information, I'm finding that I have to make use of Spotlight, Yep, and Accordance, and Leopard's new coverflow and quicklook features. It all ends up being a bit messy, but I think that helps--I find things "by accident" and that leads me into new, creative ways of thinking about the text.

Remember, a bit of chaos is good--leads to more creativity. ;-)

#28 Justin Burt

Justin Burt

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Backpacking, and Traveling.

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:39 AM

I finished a complete converter from Unicode Greek to Helena Greek. With it, you can now do stuff like highlight some Unicode Greek text in a pdf or a web browser or whatever, and then with a key stroke have it look up that inflected form or phrase in your favorite Greek text or Greek tool in Accordance.
If folks seem interested, I'll get it in shape to make it public.

Joe,

Thanks for your help and insight. I would be interested so make it public!

Edited by Justin Burt, 19 December 2007 - 10:40 AM.

Justin Burt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users