Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:History of science
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 20 June 2005 - 11:55 PM

Helen and David,

I am relatively new to Accordance, and loving it! Thanks for all your hard work to maintain it and to continually improve it. It is becoming a daily joy and help to me.

>>Sorry, highlighting the text of tools (I assume that's what you mean by References) is a major undertaking, and not on the horizon.<<

This is sad news; I just came to the forums to find out how to highlight my new Calvin commentary, unlocked this afternoon. I'm so happy to have it in a portable format, and as I began to use it, I reached for the trusty highlighting categories I use for biblical markup. In my mind, the lack of highlighting in non-biblical modules severely diminishes their usefulness. But I'm new to this: Can anyone suggest workarounds for customizing tool texts? I would really like to hear ideas for work-arounds... what is the current Accordance analogue for reading, with pen in hand, one's own printed copy of a work? Many thanks....

PEACE
Kerry

#2 David Glasgow

David Glasgow

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Music, Diversity

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:28 AM

What is the current Accordance analogue for reading, with pen in hand, one's own printed copy of a work?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Kerry--

When I come across a passage I'd like to "highlight," I copy it into a word processing document. For general-interest quotes, I have a file (actually, a series of files, since they've gotten so large) called "Quotes" that I can summon quickly with a QuicKeys keystroke; and if I'm working on a sermon or other project for which I'm looking for particular support, I create a separate "Notes" document for that project, that I keep in the folder with the sermon text and other supporting files.

In either case, I use EndNote to "tag" each pasted quote with a citation code, so I can find it again when I need to. QuicKeys shortcuts make the whole process darn near automatic, once I've selected the text in Accordance.

For what it's worth...

:)
D
"I would rather have a mind opened by wonder
than one closed by belief." --Gerry Spence

#3 Kerry Magruder

Kerry Magruder

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Interests:History of science
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 16 July 2005 - 02:32 PM

Hey David,

Thanks for the comments! Your procedure sounds similar to the way I use Notebook from CircusPonies for organizing collections of snipped quotes.

However, I'm still trying to work through an electronic way of doing something we all like to do: how to browse the books we have "conversations" with, by marking them up and returning to them repeatedly over time. For these long-term browsing habits we need to view the marked passages in context, and highlighting would make the most sense. I could copy and paste the whole work into a word processor or Acrobat or Notebook or some other app, but then of course it would lose its integration with Accordance. So it's a tough dilemma: preserve browsability and markability outside of Accordance, or accept integration with Accordance at the price of one's long-term conversation with the work?

I still have no solution to this dilemma, so I guess I'd better just continue buying printed versions of non-biblical texts instead. The creation of a truly user-friendly ebook reader is something yet to be achieved. If only Accordance could do for these works what it has already accomplished for biblical texts!

PEACE
Kerry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users