Tagged Version of the ESV

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 BrianBowman

BrianBowman

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:The Mysteries of Christ, Holy Scripture, Patristic and Catholic Theology, Guitar, Classical Pilates, Software Engineering, Craftsman Architecture
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 23 July 2005 - 09:33 AM

The English Standard Version (ESV) is an excellent target for Greek and Hebrew text tagging as it is quickly becoming the "standard" in Reformed churches. I would be willing to contribute time toward such an effort.

#2 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 27 July 2005 - 02:00 PM

Brian, can you please clarify what you mean by giving an example or two of what kind of Hebrew and Greek tagging you have in mind? Are you referring to the footnotes?
J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#3 BrianBowman

BrianBowman

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Interests:The Mysteries of Christ, Holy Scripture, Patristic and Catholic Theology, Guitar, Classical Pilates, Software Engineering, Craftsman Architecture

Posted 29 July 2005 - 01:34 PM

The same tagging found in the KJVS and NAS95S Accordance Texts yielding the basic Hebrew or Greek word (usually a root) with Strongs (other lexcion source?) linking. With these two texts (and I understand the tagged NIV as well) the basic original language word and the Strongs reference number appear in the instant details box when the cursor encouters a translated English word.

Is this what you are asking?

#4 DavidDoyle

DavidDoyle

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 02:02 PM

The English Standard Version (ESV) is an excellent target for Greek and Hebrew text tagging as it is quickly becoming the "standard" in Reformed churches.  I would be willing to contribute time toward such an effort.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree and would not only buy, I'd help. The ESV has become my primary translation.

#5 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:39 PM

Yes, thanks. I've never used Strong's numbers, but from what little I understand, e.g., http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strong's_concordance, the concept could be applied to the ESV, though one hopes that more accurate and up-to-date resources could be used in linking, given the ESV's own aim for accuracy. I also imagine the ESV committee would have final say on the desirability of this type of tagging.
J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#6 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

Administrator

• Admin
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 09:01 PM

If you check out the Normal Flash demo on the main site (www.accordancebible.com), it will show you an overview of the main features, plus an example of what it can do with the Strong's Numbers tagged texts, which include NAS95S, NIV-G/K, and KJVS.
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#7 jwritebol

jwritebol

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

Oh please, please, please add the ESV "tagged" with the Strong's Numbers from the Greek and Hebrew... that would be about THE best addition to the Accordance Library that I could think of.
Jeremy Writebol
jwritebol.net

#8 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,235 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 10:05 PM

I think a lot of people would agree with you, but is there a text of the ESV with Strong's numbers available? It is a lot of work to add the numbers to the etext. Are you offering to do that work for the greater good?
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#9 BrianBowman

BrianBowman

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 07:00 AM

I think a lot of people would agree with you, but is there a text of the ESV with Strong's numbers available? It is a lot of work to add the numbers to the etext. Are you offering to do that work for the greater good?

... well I'd be willing to start with the book of Jude
:) In other words, if several of us could work together, yes

Edited by BrianBowman, 14 October 2005 - 07:01 AM.

#10 Mike Thigpen

Mike Thigpen

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Old Testament, Hebrew, ANE History, etc.

Posted 15 October 2005 - 01:36 PM

A tagged ESV is already in the works. I believe Logos is funding the project. It will appear in print as a "reverse interlinear" with the English text on the first line and the Greek line below along with Strong's numbers. The prepub press is already out. The NT is not expected to be out until 2006.

See the link for Crossway's announcement. http://www.gnpcb.org...duct/158134628X
Mike

#11 Nathan Jewett

Nathan Jewett

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 10:56 AM

I'm a seminary student studying Greek and would be more than willing to put some effort toward this cause. The ESV is my primary translation and it would benefit many fellow students and pastors.

#12 mythrenegade

mythrenegade

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:58 PM

I would pay for ESV again to have a tagged version. Perhaps you could check with crossway to see if there is a way to get in on the fun, rather than allowing it to be a logos exclusive. Methinks that exclusives for either platform (logos or accordance) is bad for users...

Joel

#13 jarcher

jarcher

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:25 AM

Just keeping this thread alive... in hopes...

#14 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,235 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:28 PM

We are hoping, too.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#15 jarcher

jarcher

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:57 PM

Helen,

Maybe some emails to Crossway would help?

Jeremy

#16 dgarrett

dgarrett

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Interests:My wife and toddlers, mountain biking, reading, writing, traveling, preaching, pastoring, theological studies at Harvard Divinity School

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:21 AM

A tagged ESV is what I check the site for regularly. Hopefully it will be available soon?

#17 Steve Raine

Steve Raine

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:50 PM

Apologies if slightly off (Accordance) topic:

what makes the ESV so special?

Thx,
Steve

#18 autopistis

autopistis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • Interests:Biblical Languages<br />Biblical Interpretation<br />Hermeneutics<br />Stewardship of our Habitat (the Earth is the Lord's)

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

what makes the ESV so special?
Thx,
Steve

Ah, how here's a can of very delicious worms!

The ESV, while following in the KJV family tradition is a highly accurate and faithful translation that was part of the explosion of translations released in the late 90s-early 00s. It is a great study Bible as it tries to stay as close as possible in English to the original languages; for example it maintains the original text genders. It is written in a standard North American English, avoiding colloquialisms and such that can get dated quickly. All in all, for me it is a great contemporary English translation that tries to be true to its text.

The only downside is that it is not greatly readable. I would balk at choosing the ESV for congregational reading because the translation is stilted in places as it tries to retain original language word order and uses word meanings that may not be the easiest in English. For public worship and personal study translations that flow for the ear are best, I believe.

So when I reach for an English Bible to study from I always use the ESV first, but in my devotions and public readings I find it may not be the best (at those times I reach for the NLT-se).
Gord Welch
at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary
South Hamilton, MA, USA
simplechristians.blogspot.com

#19 jarcher

jarcher

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 28 January 2007 - 10:43 AM

The only downside is that it is not greatly readable.

I completely agree and wish more people would acknowledge this. My wife and I are reading the ESV this year and I am often disappointed by the horrible English (especially in the OT).

Peace,

Jeremy

#20 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:18 AM

Tagged, yes.
Strong's, no.
But I cannot think of an alternative to Strong's numbers, except for the Goodricke & Kohlenberger's system.
Any alternatives?

~A!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users