Need to learn Hebrew

Brett

I'm looking for a self study hebrew course preferably with lectures to go with the text. Kind of like Mounce's greek course. Does anyone have any recommendations? :)

I suggest the following:

Thomas O. Lambdin, An Introduction to Biblical Hebrew

The costly hardback edition is out of print, but an unexpensive paperback edition is available. I used it myself. It guides you into reading Hebrew prose. You would need something else for poetry.

Williamson wrote an annotated key to this book.

Hope this helps

Marco

The Hebrew companion book to Mounce is Gary Pratico and Miles Van Pelt's Basics of Biblical Hebrew. It is laid out and accompanied just like Mounce's BBG, and is quite a good textbook/workbook/CD combo. I used it (taught by Dr. Pratico himself!) here at Gordon-Conwell Seminary last year, and it was excellent.

Hi Denes. I actually have that textbook with the workbook. Unfortunately the CD author lectures won't be ready until next year. I guess I was spoiled with Mounce's course since I could listen to the lectures over and over when portions of the course got difficult. I guess I could go ahead and try to complete the course without the lectures. My brain just works a lot better listening rather than just reading. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently using "Living Biblical Hebrew" by Dr. Randall Buth. Dr. Buth was was a Bible Translator in Africa for 18 years. Now his extended family actually live in Israel where they offer Biblical Hebrew Ulpans in the Summer.

Their Courses are focused on teaching you to actually read Biblical Hebrew rather than gain enough understanding of the language to get through Seminary ;)

You basically start like a little child, listening to native Hebrew speakers saying simple words and phrases that you associate with pictures.

Archived