25 replies to this topic

#21 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,155 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:39 AM

That's why I'm sticking with Pages and Mellel. Oh, and I'm so glad TextEdit can open .docx files because everyone around here is getting Vista and the new Office. If it weren't for TextEdit, I'd have people griping about my perfectly wonderful Macs.

Pages can also open the .docx files, and of course, it's now the default format for Word 2008.

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2013 8" Dell Venue 8 Pro - 1.33 Ghz Atom, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

#22 Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

If you find that TextEdit isn't handling more complex docx files, or you need to open an xlsx file, you might give NeoOffice a try. It's free and includes import filters for all the new MSOffice formats.

Lorinda
Running Accordance on:
Mac 10.9 (Mavericks)
iOS 7 (iPad)
Windows Vista Home Premium

#23 Jonna Schmidt

Jonna Schmidt

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:47 PM

That's why I'm sticking with Pages and Mellel. Oh, and I'm so glad TextEdit can open .docx files because everyone around here is getting Vista and the new Office. If it weren't for TextEdit, I'd have people griping about my perfectly wonderful Macs.

Hi: I am fairly new to Accordance, but Accordance 8 is simply beautiful. I have used Accordance 7 on my Intel Mac, along with Appleworks and Office Mac 2008. Maybe I am missing something, but I could always drop-drag hebrew, greek, or English into Appleworks, iWORKs, and Office. Had major problems with iWORKs so I removed it. Glad that iWORKS works for you. What is Mellel? Jonna from MIchigan

#24 danzac

danzac

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:NT, historical Jesus, DSS, NT Backgrounds

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:41 PM

Mellel is a word processor on the Mac, and is the word processor on Mac that best handles unicode script, particularly right-to-left scripts. It also has some good integration with Bookends or Sente for bibliographic management.

http://www.redlers.com/

#25 ToddPeperkorn

ToddPeperkorn

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Theology, biblical languages, latin, german, American Lutheranism, American church history, chess, golf, woodworking, science fiction, classic literature, anything that could generally be categorized as a "book".

Posted 01 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

I'm kind of a word processor junkie, and while Mellel certainly handles all of this very well, it lacks (imo) some of the graphical pop that you will find in some of the higher end word processors like Word '08 or Pages. FWIW, my go-to wp has been Pages for about a year now. I like it very much, although it is a hassle interacting with folks that use Word (which is, sadly, most of the known world).
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Rev. Todd Peperkorn
Messiah Lutheran Church (LCMS)
Kenosha, WI 53140
http://lutheranlogomaniac.com
http://toddpeperkorn.com/
http://messiahkenosha.org
http://historiclectionary.com
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

#26 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 11:13 AM

I'm kind of a word processor junkie, and while Mellel certainly handles all of this very well, it lacks (imo) some of the graphical pop that you will find in some of the higher end word processors like Word '08 or Pages. FWIW, my go-to wp has been Pages for about a year now. I like it very much, although it is a hassle interacting with folks that use Word (which is, sadly, most of the known world).

Junkies unite.

Yes, I am a bit of the same, and have used Pages, Word, and Mellel each a good bit to evaluate them well enough over the past two or three years. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses, but I run into the same issue that overall, it seems to just be more practical to have Word. Mellel is better for Unicode Hebrew, but after my dissertation, I'm not sure if I'll use it again. And I'm especially intrigued now that Word has a reference manager. I may just simply go back to Word exclusively within the next year.

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2013 8" Dell Venue 8 Pro - 1.33 Ghz Atom, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users