#41 mikes

mikes

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

I think it would be fantastic to see Oaktree and Olivetree partner in this undertaking.

#42 circuitrider

circuitrider

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:07 PM

I'll concur, OliveTree has an excellent iPhone app and it keeps getting better. However, if OakTree made an iPhone app I have no doubt that it would outshine the competition. If they develop it I'll buy it.

#43 Patrik Olterman

Patrik Olterman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 11 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

I am also on olivetree right now on my iphone (had an old account since my blackberry days, and I am delighted to see that I can just redownload the modules for the iphone, so I do not have to repay anything.

But if I could get accordance for iphone I would pay good money for it.

#44 William Varner

William Varner

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Greek exegesis, hermeneutics, patristics, Civil War, grandchildren
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 11 November 2009 - 09:52 AM

Buy? Who said buy? It should be free like the Logos app. The question is what modules would be included free.

#45 danzac

danzac

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:NT, historical Jesus, DSS, NT Backgrounds

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:58 AM

Buy? Who said buy? It should be free like the Logos app. The question is what modules would be included free.

But the logos app requires a internet connection and is just connecting to bible.logos.com if I'm not mistaken. I would think an Accordance app would be a thin client for viewing your existing modules (the ones you want to sync).

#46 Donovan R. Palmer

Donovan R. Palmer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 11:29 AM

But the logos app requires a internet connection and is just connecting to bible.logos.com if I'm not mistaken. I would think an Accordance app would be a thin client for viewing your existing modules (the ones you want to sync).

Yes, it's a move to semi-cloud computing where you can access your resources online, though it sounded from what was written the other day, there was also possibly going to be an option to use your resources offline in the future. It's an intriguing option, though I don't have an iPhone! (yet) Accordance on an iPhone would be awesome!

Edited by Donovan R. Palmer, 14 November 2009 - 11:38 AM.

#47 DanG

DanG

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:30 AM

Actually your copy of Logos 4 syncs with the Logos iPhone app. So reading lists are synced when updated on either platform, so are bookmarks, etc. Only 2000 of the 10,000 modules are available on the iPhone, and then, only the ones that you own, but they are working on the rest. The vast majority of the modules i have are accessible on the iPhone. It is an incredibly slick app!

It does work with some free modules, but you don't see the full benefit unless you own Logos 4. I use Olive Tree & Laridian and this app from Logos blows them away. The only downside that I can see right now is that you need to be able to get phone service (you do NOT need an internet connection).

#48 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,862 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball

Posted 16 November 2009 - 09:56 AM

The only downside that I can see right now is that you need to be able to get phone service (you do NOT need an internet connection).

I'm not sure what the distinction between "phone service" and "internet connection" is, since if you have one you will inevitably have the other (whether the internet connection is 3G is another issue, and I guess if you were traveling in a very remote area that GPRS may not even be available). I would test your hypothesis on this app by turning on Airplane Mode and trying to use it.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#49 DanG

DanG

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

I'm not sure what the distinction between "phone service" and "internet connection" is

The distinction is between "phone service" and WiFi. I was merely addressing the assumption from an earlier post that you need an internet connection in order for Logos to work on the iPhone. (There are some apps that require WiFi and will not work with only phone service). Logos for the iPhone does not require a WiFi connection, but will work with just "phone service." Sorry if that wasn't clear. As you pointed out, it is rare to be any place and not have phone service. Therefore Logos for iPhone will work most anywhere.

You are correct that Logos for iPhone does NOT work when you iPhone is in Airplane mode. For that you'd have to use Olive Tree, Laridian or maybe an Accordance app (someday??)

Edited by DanG, 16 November 2009 - 01:14 PM.

#50 danzac

danzac

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:NT, historical Jesus, DSS, NT Backgrounds

Posted 09 December 2009 - 12:58 PM

Phone service? If Logos is connecting to the logos cloud, that is an internet connection. I didn't say wifi necessarily— but it is using the datastream to connect to the logos cloud. A phone service connection is for....phoning. voice.

Am I way off here?

#51 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,155 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

Phone service? If Logos is connecting to the logos cloud, that is an internet connection. I didn't say wifi necessarily— but it is using the datastream to connect to the logos cloud. A phone service connection is for....phoning. voice.

Am I way off here?

If you don't have access to wifi in a particular location, you're dependent upon the phone service--Edge or 3G. If you're deep within certain buildings--especially older ones, or simply out of a coverage area, often you can be without either.

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2013 8" Dell Venue 8 Pro - 1.33 Ghz Atom, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

#52 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:13 PM

You are correct that Logos for iPhone does NOT work when you iPhone is in Airplane mode.

This is why I've not bothered to even load it on my iPhone. It requires internet access (and hence more battery use). I can just use BibleGateway, then. Or even better, continue to enjoy the most excellent OliveTree that I have.

I find the Logos model of insisting on connection to their server that they may push advertising most annoying.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#53 DanG

DanG

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:41 PM

This is why I've not bothered to even load it on my iPhone. It requires internet access (and hence more battery use). I can just use BibleGateway, then. Or even better, continue to enjoy the most excellent OliveTree that I have.

I find the Logos model of insisting on connection to their server that they may push advertising most annoying.

Biblegateway.com is a great website. I'm not sure it would be logical to use it if you already have OliveTree in your iPhone, since OliveTree can do everything biblegateway.com can do and more.

Your comparison between biblegateway and Logos is a little like saying, "why would I want all my Accordance modules on my iPhone when I could just use biblegateway." The are two completely different items with different functions.

As far as the "Logos model" of connecting to their server: (1) it's not the only app on my iPhone that requires connecting to the internet-lots do, (2) owning an iPhone requires paying for an internet plan, (3) you could always use OliveTree when you didn't have internet access since you can have more than one app on your iPhone and Logos is free, (4) I doubt that an iPhone app from Accordance would function much differently IF you wanted to access all your modules. All my Accordance modules won't fit on my 32GB iPhone and neither will all my Logos modules.

So... Logos could let users pick and choose which modules to download to their iPhone or give them access to many modules, which would require internet access. Personally, I already own OliveTree and Laridian so the first option wouldn't be much help to me. However, I'm thrilled to have access to many Logos modules on my iPhone for free.

Lastly, your assumption that Logos is requiring a connection to their server for the purpose of pushing annoying advertising seems based either in prejudice or your ability to determine their motivation. I have yet to receive any advertisement from Logos so they must be really incompetent.

#54 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

Hi, Adam,

The comparison with Biblegateway.com is precise. They both are allowing you to interact with texts that are stored on a server (and hence slower and chew up more power). Or am I misunderstanding the architecture here? If I can't go airplane mode and still use the program without keeping it cached in the front, then that's just silly. Sure, plenty of apps require a connection (GoogleMaps, Web portals, etc.) but that should only be for apps that are leveraging the internets and its series of tubes—not off-site storage because for some reason you couldn't implement local file management.

And, of course your Accordance modules could fit on your iPhone. If you owned everything they have, it surely must still be less than 15 Gig; you might want to do some real investigation via Get Info and you might be surprised. Myself, all I want are my core texts and some references, and the iPhone is designed to be able to spare a couple gig here and a couple gig there for fantastically useful apps. Surely I can afford to delete episode 20 of The Office from last season to make the room. (How believable could it have been that Jim could play soccer, anyway?)

I am simply uninterested in an iPhone app that could house local files that don't for the convenience of the publisher, at the expense of the convenience of the consumer. I think it is a poor software architecture model, an erroneous use of the cloud model, and I don't have a single other iPhone app that is like this. There's no sound reason for all modules to be forced to be stored in the cloud. It would be nice for a second set of references that you rarely use but can have access to via the cloud without having to carry them around.

I'm very happy you're happy. Your tastes are different from mine.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#55 DanG

DanG

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:12 PM

Precise? In the same way that a bulldozer and a BMW are both vehicles. While there may be some overlap in function and form, they are not intended to accomplish the same thing. You are talking about HOW they work, I'm referring to WHAT you can do with it. You might be better informed if you had actually used the product you're critiquing so severely.

I own 8GB of Accordance modules and 10GB of Logos modules, so I guess you're right--I could fit everything on my iPhone, unless I owned the 8GB model. But I think your suggestion of being able to load a subset onto my iPhone while still being able to access ALL of the modules via the cloud is a good idea. I use my iPhone for more things than just Bible study so I have it full of all kinds of stuff--I currently have 500MB free.

No other apps that could house local files, but don't? Actually, I think that's part of the debate with navigation apps on the iPhone so they would fall into that category.

I find it interesting that you continue to read Logos' mind (amazing!) and can determine their motivation for their business model. Are you absolutely sure they chose the model they did solely for their own convenience and not based on anything else? For one, I find it very convenient to not have to load files onto my iPhone in order to access them and consider it an ingenious use of the cloud model. Just because you don't have a "single other iPhone app that is like this" doesn't make it a bad idea.

Again, I think it would great if I could choose to load some modules onto my iPhone, but I'm thrilled to have a free app for my iPhone so that I can access my modules at no additional cost. While there's room for improvement, it's still a great deal!

#56 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

Dan, I remain happy for your that you're pleased to have your previously-purchased resources available to use on your iPhone.

You are talking about HOW they work

Precisely. :) They both load their content precisely the same way. That's why I mentioned it. Both are essentially web portals. And that's my criticism. It was a poor choice on their part.

I think that's part of the debate with navigation apps on the iPhone so they would fall into that category.

That is a very good parallel. Because the maps can be used in such a dynamic and changing manner when used as place lookup, restaurants, phone numbers, traffic info, etc., the cloud map is superior, and the net connection needed could be judged as justified. However, when your use goes to Turn-by-turn navigation, the local install is clearly superior. TomTom's install is only 1.3 gig; and so often on the highway there's no connections.
So, in our discussions about bible modules, it's for you to weigh advantage and disadvantage to being denied access to some of the modules you've purchased when you want to use them but can't because you're not connected. Adding additional access via their server to additional resources is swell, but not at the expense of having your primary resources with you already. Many apps have the model of "content on demand," but on demand means you can then load it onto your iPhone if/when you want. Being connected is not always ubiquitous, and even more so, it is a lame draw on resources, speed and battery use in particular. The number of situations where iPhone users find themselves unconnected (exponentially more for Touch users) is in no way rare.

Are you absolutely sure they chose the model they did solely for their own convenience and not based on anything else?

No, I haven't a clue. I could only guess if they do.

For one, I find it very convenient to not have to load files onto my iPhone

And, again, I'm happy it suits your needs. I want my files loaded onto my device.

Again, I think it would great if I could choose to load some modules onto my iPhone

I have no reason to settle for something less. You have already purchased modules from Logos, so you do have a reason.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

#57 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,427 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

This is an interesting discussion but not really relevant to Accordance at present. We agree that our own iPhone app should not require a live internet connection.

We do encourage the free exchange of ideas, but I think it is time to close this topic.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users