#1 Sean R.

Sean R.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:45 AM

I'm a young pastor just beginning full-time ministry. I want to begin building a library of Bible study resources that will serve me for the rest of my ministry—30, 40, maybe even 50 years. While I understand that expecting a software resource to be around for 50 years is a bit naive, I do want to make a wise investment that will serve me for as long as possible.

My question is this: Can I expect Accordance to be around for the long haul?

My question isn't prompted by the Logos development of an OS X version—after checking Logos out, I can't imagine it obliterating Accordance. Accordance is so elegant, useful, intuitive, etc.—very Mac-like—and Logos isn't. And I understand Accordance has already been around for quite some time—nearly the entire time Bible study software has existed. If I understand correctly, however, Accordance is essentially a family company.

I suppose my real question is this: Is there a continuance plan for prolonged Accordance development by a second generation of programmers?

I want to invest in Accordance, and appreciate the coming responses to my questions.

God bless,
Sean
Sean Reed

#2 Jim Poulos

Jim Poulos

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:28 AM

Jean,

I heard this story in a sermon and thought it might put some perspective on your concerns.

Two men were talking. One said to the other, ‘The world is going to be destroyed in 20 billions years.’ The other man started to get very anxious and wanted to get clear on what the first man said and impatiently asked him, ‘What did you say?’ The first man said, ‘I said the world is going to be destroyed in 20 billion years.’ The other man was relieved and said, ‘Whew, you had me worried, I thought you said, 20 million years.’

Peace
Jim P

Edited by Jim Poulos, 04 April 2008 - 08:45 AM.

#3 David Lang

David Lang

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 763 posts
  • Interests:Accordance development, writing, spending time with my wife and five kids
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:43 AM

Sean,

Since technology changes so quickly and Accordance's fate depends on the survival of other companies, it's not easy to promise that Accordance will still be around in the distant future. Will Apple or Microsoft be around in 30, 40, or 50 years? Will we still be using computers as we know them today? Your guess is as good as mine.

That said, I understand the thrust of your question and will do my best to answer it. Accordance is indeed a privately owned (and family owned) corporation, but I believe that can also be said of most other Bible software companies. Do we have a succession plan in place? Yes we do. If we lost our lead programmer, do we have other programmers who would be able to maintain and further develop the software? Yes we do.

Ultimately, there are no guarantees that Accordance will be around forever, but we have made every effort to be prepared for the future. I think that's all anyone can promise.

Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
David Lang
Accordance Developer
http://www.accordancebible.com

Author:
Feet to Follow, Eyes to See
http://feettofollow.wordpress.com

Macs in the Ministry
http://www.macsinministrybook.com

Leader of the "Lang Gang"
http://www.langgangland.com
http://twitter.com/DavidAllenLang

#4 Sean R.

Sean R.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:13 AM

Thanks, David! You did indeed answer my question. Just yesterday I downloaded the Accordance starter package, and today I'm trying to determine which packages to order. I'm really impressed with the program. And as I've read through many entries on this forum, I've become quite impressed with the people developing and marketing Accordance.
Sean Reed

#5 Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

Sean,

If you have any questions about which packages you need/want as you begin working with Accordance, be sure to ask here or to call the Accordance folks directly. They are very helpful in that regard. Their primary concern is helping you find the best fit for your needs and budget.

I started with the Introductory level of Library 7 and quickly added the Scholar's Core package because I wanted access to the original language texts. Over the years I've slowly added other modules. I've still got a pretty extensive wish list! As you probably know, the primary collections (Library and Scholar's among others) are on sale this month. There's usually a December sale as well. That's when I've done a lot of my purchasing.

Lorinda

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover, 04 April 2008 - 01:22 PM.

Running Accordance on:
Mac 10.9 (Mavericks)
iOS 7 (iPad)
Windows Vista Home Premium

#6 jackcav

jackcav

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Bible Teaching
    Database Programming
    Golf (but no time)
    Fishing
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Sean

For your information, the 500 pound gorilla of Bible Software—Logos—is also essentially a family company. As David said, with rapidly changing technology, we have no guarantee than anything man-made will be around in 50 years. The first computer I maintained had a whopping 2 Kb or core memory and a 168 Kb drum memory! When we see how much computers have changed in those 50 years, how can we predict what the next 50 will hold?

Go ahead, purchase Accordance, you will not regret it. Logos Mac is still a long way from prime time. Even then, it will not replace Accordance. I use both extensively, but if I could only have one, it would be Accordance.

Jack

#7 Sean R.

Sean R.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

Thanks to David and the others who responded to my initial query. Friday I ordered Library 7 Premier, the Scholar's Core Bundle, and the Atlas. I had already downloaded the Starter package and have been moving some of my personal resources (sermons, Bible study notes, etc.) into Accordance using the User Tool feature. Great feature!

I'm impressed with Accordance—and I look forward to investing in reference works as I am able to financially.

God bless,
Sean
Sean Reed

#8 Rick Yentzer

Rick Yentzer

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Interests:Bible, family, reading, philosophy, apologetics, theology, markup, coding and programming

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

Thanks to David and the others who responded to my initial query. Friday I ordered Library 7 Premier, the Scholar's Core Bundle, and the Atlas. I had already downloaded the Starter package and have been moving some of my personal resources (sermons, Bible study notes, etc.) into Accordance using the User Tool feature. Great feature!

I'm impressed with Accordance—and I look forward to investing in reference works as I am able to financially.

God bless,
Sean

Make sure to purchase the training dvd. You won't be disappointed. I was hardly scratching the surface of the program until I went through the training dvd.

Rick
"I'm not afraid of failure. I'm afraid to succeed in something that isn't important." William Carey

#9 Sean R.

Sean R.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

I received my Accordance order yesterday: Library 7 Premier, Scholar's Core Bundle, and the Atlas. Over the last day, I've used Accordance to finish preparing my sermon for this weekend. Here are a few observations:

EXCELLENT PROGRAM — I continue to be impressed with Accordance. I appreciate its powerful search capabilities and intuitive interface. I do find, however, that organizing all the texts, tools and reference works can be a bit challenging. The ability to create folders to house modules is a nice feature—I can't imagine trying to sort through everything without that feature.

PACKAGES — Overall, the packages seem to be a good value. While the Library 7 Premier package did give me numerous resources I probably will never use, purchasing separately only the texts and tools I wanted would have cost more than the package. With the Scholar's Core Bundle, I would personally prefer different Greek and Hebrew tools. This isn't a complaint—I knew what was included when I purchased the bundle. As for the texts, simply having reliably tagged Greek and Hebrew texts is fabulous.

BIBLES — Nice selection of available Bibles. I really appreciate being able to choose four modern texts as part of the packages (3 included with Library 7 Premier and the other included with the Scholar's Core Bundle). I do wish that all the English texts were tagged with Strong's—simply an issue of convenience and not one of usability or usefulness.

ATLAS — I appreciate the relatively high quality graphics and the ability to overlay custom user layers. I thought I read somewhere that the Atlas included a rudimentary outline/layout of some cities (at least Jerusalem). During the limited time I've spend so far using the Atlas, I haven't found that. Overall, worth the price paid. Now I need the PhotoGuide and Timeline. Are they worth the price as well?

My wish list of modules for Accordance is ever growing—currently it is at 21. So many great works are available. And the customer service—incredible. If a Bible software suite for Mac was developed that eclipsed Accordance, I don't think I would switch. This program inspires loyalty—and that's after only one day of using it.

God bless,
Sean
Sean Reed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users