Searching in Library 7 Premier

pkoebbe

Hello all,

I am trying to do some Greek searching, but am having some difficulty. I'm not a scholar, which is why I didn't purchase the Scholar's edition. I am interested in original languages, though, and I like to do word studies from time to time, so I bought some of the add on packages that provided me with some of the tools I'd need (Zondervan's Scholarly package primarily).

My topic at hand is faith, stemming mainly from Luke 18:8b, when Jesus says,

However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?

With the tools that I have, I can see that "faith" in this verse is pistis (n). When I look it up in the dictionary, I see that pistis comes from pistos (a), which is the root of a number of other words. So now I'd like to search for all variations and derivations of pistos, but do not know how to do that. I watched the demo of the Scholar's edition and saw that bit about right clicking and searching for a root, but can't seem to find that in the Library edition. Also in the demo of the Scholar's edition, the search in the original language automatically found all forms of the word, but my searching in Library 7 Premier finds only the form of the word that I keyed in.

Is that kind of searching only available in the Scholar's edition? Is it possible to do something like that with what I have?

Peace,

Phillip

You can get close to this by searching for multiple Key numbers. If you open the Select Key Numbers dialog and click on the numbers derived from pistis, your search should get all the words translating those Greek terms. For a true root search you would need a tagged Greek text which will certainly give you all words derived from the root, and much more easily (shift-option-amplify to the Search button from one example in the text).

It looks like you don't have any grammatically tagged Greek or Hebrew texts. The Greek and Hebrew texts that come with the Library Premier and Zondervan's scholarly suite are un-tagged, meaning they aren't marked for grammatical forms, etc.

You can get some of what you want by using a keyed English text like the KJVS, the NAS, or the NIV-G/K. These English texts have tagging that tells you what the underlying Greek or Hebrew word is, and you can search by key numbers to find all occurrences of a particular Greek or Hebrew word. With the KJVS, for example, you could search for pistis by entering [KEY G4102] into the search pane.

As far as I know you can't to root searches in keyed texts, but you could manually find all the Strong's (or G/K) numbers for words with the root Pistos and create a search for them.

If you want to work with grammatically tagged versions of the original language texts, you don't have to buy the Scholar's Core bundle, you can just purchase the tagged texts.

Lorinda

Oops! I see Helen beat me to it!

Actually, Philip does have a tagged Greek text, since the GNT-TR is now included in the Library 7 Premier.

Philip, the simplest way to do what you're asking is to select the word "faith" in the NAS95S, then hold down the option key while selecting GNT-TR from the Greek texts pop-up menu of the Resource palette (the top right button). This will open a new window searching the entire Greek text for the word pistis. Now just select any of the highlighted words in the Greek text, and use Helen's suggestion of holding down shift and option while clicking the Search button on the Resource palette. Alternatively, you could control- or right-click one of the highlighted Greek words to get a contextual menu, and then choose Search For Root. Either method will open a third window displaying every word derived from the Greek root peitho.

Now, here's the cool part. If you click the Details button and then choose the Analysis tab, you'll get a list of all the words derived from that root. If you click the Concordance button, Accordance will build a concordance listing every occurrence of each of those words.

That's some pretty sophisticated information, and you can get it all without typing a single letter of Greek.

Helen/Lorinda/David,

Thank you very much for your input. I'll be sure to try the suggestions out tonight!

Peace in Christ,

Phillip

Hello again,

I followed your suggestions and it worked very well! When I originally purchased Library 7 Premier, I was trying to add on enough to do the simple kinds of word studies that I like to do, but I guess I didn't understand the difference between a Greek text and a tagged Greek text. Now I do. I also see that there is a tagged version of NA27, which I prefer over TR, so I'll be looking at getting that in the near future.

Thank you very much for your helpfulness!

Peace and grace in Jesus Christ,

Phillip

Archived