• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Justin Burt

Justin Burt

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Backpacking, and Traveling.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 05:07 PM

Does anyone know of an easy way to insert paragraph markers into a User Bible so that it is not just one long text for every chapter?
Justin Burt

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,506 posts
  • Twitter:accordancebible
  • Accordance Version:11.x
  • Platforms:Mac OS X, Windows, iOS

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:55 PM

Not sure what you are asking. To quote from the Help files:

Paragraph marks are denoted by use of the paragraph marker () with a single space on each side. If paragraphs are used, a paragraph marker must appear after the reference of the first verse of the first book, otherwise Accordance will assume that there are no paragraphs in the text. The marker should also appear at reasonable intervals throughout the text.

If you want a way to insert them automatically at appropriate points, I cannot imagine a really easy way. Perhaps putting the text in parallel with another translation (in your text editor), and finding the paragraph markers in the one, and putting them manually in the same verse in the other? Probably people with a lot more skills than mine could write a routine to automate this.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Justin Burt

Justin Burt

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Chess, Backpacking, and Traveling.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:42 PM

Helen,

I was asking if it was easy to write an automate for this. Sorry it wasn't clear. I just don't want to go in an do it manually, that would take some time. I just had to reimport one of my Indonesian Bible translations so I was wondering if I had to add them manually or if there was a way to write a simple automate?
Justin Burt

#4 David Lang

David Lang

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 764 posts
  • Interests:Accordance development, writing, spending time with my wife and five kids
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

If you've got a text editor with macro writing or scripting capability, you could search for each verse reference you want to begin a paragraph and then insert the paragraph marker after it. TextWrangler is free and supports PERL, so you could develop a simple PERL script to accomplish this.
Sincerely,
David Lang
Accordance Developer
http://www.accordancebible.com

Author:
Feet to Follow, Eyes to See
http://feettofollow.wordpress.com

Macs in the Ministry
http://www.macsinministrybook.com

Leader of the "Lang Gang"
http://www.langgangland.com
http://twitter.com/DavidAllenLang

#5 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:00 PM

Justin,
Would need to know more about the text you're working with... does it currently have paragraphs separated in some way?
Here's a thought:
It'd be relatively easy to write a routine that would compare with a source bible. Let's say you have your new user bible open in a text file, perfectly formatted except for the missing 's. You could then find another user bible source text fully formatted that had 's marked whose position you wanted to copy. You could create this yourself by saving a current module (with some effort thanks to the new ≤1000 verses some-what silly anti-theft device).
Then, you could write a routine that found the first in the source text, marked what verse it was, then switch to the working text and add in the , then switch back to the source text and found the next , and then repeated.
In fact, I could easily provide a verse list of every verse in, say, the NRSV that was the beginning of a paragraph that would make the process even easier. (I would have to take special account of 's that occur in the middle of the verse).

Edited by Joe Weaks, 04 June 2008 - 09:07 PM.

Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#6 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 03:52 AM

"new ≤1000 verses some-what silly anti-theft device"

When did that come in? I missed that one.

#7 Alistair

Alistair

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:58 AM

I still haven't been able to find any documentation on the 1000 verse limit, not in the help nor on the website.

If you think you might need to export more than 1000 verses, you should remember to keep a copy of the Accordance 7 app on your HD.

I never thought I would need to do this, until I actually needed to do it. If I needed to do it again, it would be a nuisance to do it in batches.

Admittedly, the chances of needing to do it again are slim.

#8 Fabian

Fabian

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts
  • Interests:www.internetkirche.com
    www.iglesia-del-internet.com

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

Dear David 

I have no experience with Perl. Can you post here the Code?

I have a .txt file that was greyed out, when I want to import it to Accordance. But with the TextWrangler it is now black, but when I want it to import then after the title o.k. klick comes a pop up witch ask where the file is.

Do you have a solution for this?

Thanks for your answer.

Mac Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)

1,3 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB Ram

Yosemite 10.10.1

Accordance 11.0.3

iPhone 4S

iOS 8.1.1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users