Can I change Command-I?

Levi Durfey

Command-I, as you know, is the shortcut for "Get Info" or "italics" in much of the mac world. I was wondering what the reason was that, in Accordance, it is the shortcut for tile windows. Do we need a shortcut for tile windows, especially since stack windows has no shortcut?

I have had some frustrating instances where I hit Command-I, thinking that it would give me "About this Text..." (the equivalent of "Get Info" in my mind) and I end up tiling my windows instead. Then I have to fix everything before getting back to work.

I have tried reassigning the shortcut in the "OS X" Keyboard Shortcut preference pane, with no effect. Is there some way to reassign this keyboard shortcut?

If not, is there a quick way to "undo" the "tile windows" command?

Thanks in advance for the help, and the great Bible program!

Levi,

Good comments, and I have good news for you.

I suspect that many of the odd key combinations have a history as to why they are the way they are, but without that narrative they just look nonsensical to the rest of us.

I will say, tiling windows, making them all visible in a nice format is much more useful than stacking them.

I have previously lamented the poor compatibility between Accordance and the OS X keyboard shortcut preference pane. If it were operable, we could use our own custom shortcuts that work they way each of us works.

What you tried should work... it does sometimes, but not others, revealing how buggy that aspect of the integration is.

If you assign "About The Text..." to ⌘i, it shows up for both menu items but pressing ⌘i still only tiles windows.

However, if you assign "Instant Details" to ⌘i (which makes more sense to me than ⌘B), it does work. This will toggle the ID palette and will prevent the tiling of windows.

You can also just assign "Tile Windows" to Command Shift i (⌘⇧i) and that will keep you from accidentally invoking it, whether or not you reassign ⌘i.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks, I reassigned tile windows to Shift-Cmd I and it doesn't work beautifully now!

Later: I tried assigning Command-I to "About The Text..." and it works. But it won't work for the contextual menu item "About This Text..."

...and it doesn't work beautifully now!.

LOL

<snip>

What you tried should work... it does sometimes, but not others, revealing how buggy that aspect of the integration is.

If you assign "About The Text..." to ⌘i, it shows up for both menu items but pressing ⌘i still only tiles windows.

However, if you assign "Instant Details" to ⌘i (which makes more sense to me than ⌘B), it does work. This will toggle the ID palette and will prevent the tiling of windows.

You can also just assign "Tile Windows" to Command Shift i (⌘⇧i) and that will keep you from accidentally invoking it, whether or not you reassign ⌘i.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,

I believe the reason for this behavior is that when the operating system(OS) does its command key matching, it scans the menus in the menu bar from right to left, and from top to bottom in each menu. So for a given Command-<Key> sequence, the Help menu would be searched first, then the Window menu, then the Amplify menu, etc. For a given menu I'm not sure if the submenus are expanded during the top to bottom search but it would be easy to experiment and find out.

Hope that helps,

Scott.

Archived