IVP Old Testament Dictionaries

davesalyer

If this has already been discussed please help me find the info. Are there any plans to update the IVP Essential Reference Collection with the OT Dictionaries? Would this be a whole new set or would it be an upgrade from the existing set?

I do not think this has been discussed with IVP. Which OT Dictionaries?

I do not think this has been discussed with IVP. Which OT Dictionaries?

Helen, my guess is that Dave is referring to the Old Testament volumes in the IVP Bible Dictionary Series. Accordance offers the New Testament volumes, but there are now three OT volumes that have been released as well. The first is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Pentateuch, the second is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Historical Books, and the most recent (I just got it in the mail last week, and it's sitting here on my desk) is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings. All of these would naturally fit into Accordance's IVP Library as it already contains the New Testament volumes. A list of the complete set of books can be found at http://www.ivpress.com/cgi-ivpress/book.pl/code=2900

...the Dictionary of Old Testament: Pentateuch, the second is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Historical Books, and the most recent ... is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings...

Precisely. Thanks R.

Helen, my guess is that Dave is referring to the Old Testament volumes in the IVP Bible Dictionary Series. Accordance offers the New Testament volumes, but there are now three OT volumes that have been released as well. The first is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Pentateuch, the second is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Historical Books, and the most recent (I just got it in the mail last week, and it's sitting here on my desk) is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings. All of these would naturally fit into Accordance's IVP Library as it already contains the New Testament volumes. A list of the complete set of books can be found at http://www.ivpress.com/cgi-ivpress/book.pl/code=2900

I'd love to see these as part of accordance.

Justin Taylor recently wrote a blog post recommending this IVP series (which is possibly why this thread was generated), but note that in the comments an editor from IVP gives some add'l info on their plans for the electronic reference collection:

FYI - IVP will eventually redo the electronic reference collection to include the OT volumes, but probably not until all of the OT is done. So it's at least three or four years off. It's too early to know whether we'll offer separate OT/NT modules or individual upgrades if you already have the original.

Also in the works in the distant future are revised editions for the NT volumes on Jesus and the Gospels and Paul and His Letters, since so much has happened in NT scholarship in the last decade and a half. But these, too, will likely not happen until after the OT series is complete.

It would be unfortunate if we had to wait for them to finish the whole series before we could access the already completed works. I would rather upgrade what I have already as volumes are completed, but I suppose this all depends on what IVP chooses to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I can see the logic of waiting until the series is complete. Even so, I note that one of the Editors of the Historical Books volume is Hugh Williamson. Anything by him is bound to be good.

Archived