• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 davesalyer

davesalyer

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 10:58 AM

If this has already been discussed please help me find the info. Are there any plans to update the IVP Essential Reference Collection with the OT Dictionaries? Would this be a whole new set or would it be an upgrade from the existing set?

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,431 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 23 July 2008 - 02:00 PM

I do not think this has been discussed with IVP. Which OT Dictionaries?
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 R. Mansfield

R. Mansfield

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,156 posts
  • Accordance Version:11.x

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:00 PM

I do not think this has been discussed with IVP. Which OT Dictionaries?

Helen, my guess is that Dave is referring to the Old Testament volumes in the IVP Bible Dictionary Series. Accordance offers the New Testament volumes, but there are now three OT volumes that have been released as well. The first is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Pentateuch, the second is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Historical Books, and the most recent (I just got it in the mail last week, and it's sitting here on my desk) is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings. All of these would naturally fit into Accordance's IVP Library as it already contains the New Testament volumes. A list of the complete set of books can be found at http://www.ivpress.c...ok.pl/code=2900

Rick Mansfield

Technology Evangelist

Accordance Bible Software

Gear for running Accordance:

OS X

2012 15" MacBook Pro (retina) - 2.7 Ghz Core i7, 16 GB RAM, 750 GB SSD, Yosemite

Windows

2014 15.6" Acer R7-572 - 1.6 Ghz Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB mSATA, 1 TB HDD, Windows 8.1

2013 8" Dell Venue 8 Pro - 1.33 Ghz Atom, 2 GB RAM, 64 GB eMMC, Windows 8.1

iOS

2014 iPhone 6 Plus, 128 GB, Verizon

2013 iPad Air, 128 GB, Verizon

#4 davesalyer

davesalyer

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:22 PM

...the Dictionary of Old Testament: Pentateuch, the second is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Historical Books, and the most recent ... is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings...

Precisely. Thanks R.

#5 Simon Warren

Simon Warren

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:12 AM

Helen, my guess is that Dave is referring to the Old Testament volumes in the IVP Bible Dictionary Series. Accordance offers the New Testament volumes, but there are now three OT volumes that have been released as well. The first is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Pentateuch, the second is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Historical Books, and the most recent (I just got it in the mail last week, and it's sitting here on my desk) is the Dictionary of Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry and Writings. All of these would naturally fit into Accordance's IVP Library as it already contains the New Testament volumes. A list of the complete set of books can be found at http://www.ivpress.c...ok.pl/code=2900

I'd love to see these as part of accordance.
Mac OS X 10.6.7, Accordance 9.3.2

#6 Rick Bennett

Rick Bennett

Platinum

• Accordance
  • 1,862 posts
  • Interests: gadgets, coffee, running and cycling, Rays baseball
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:13 AM

Justin Taylor recently wrote a blog post recommending this IVP series (which is possibly why this thread was generated), but note that in the comments an editor from IVP gives some add'l info on their plans for the electronic reference collection:

FYI - IVP will eventually redo the electronic reference collection to include the OT volumes, but probably not until all of the OT is done. So it's at least three or four years off. It's too early to know whether we'll offer separate OT/NT modules or individual upgrades if you already have the original.

Also in the works in the distant future are revised editions for the NT volumes on Jesus and the Gospels and Paul and His Letters, since so much has happened in NT scholarship in the last decade and a half. But these, too, will likely not happen until after the OT series is complete.

Rick Bennett
Director of Content Development
iOS Working Group

#7 davesalyer

davesalyer

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:33 PM

It would be unfortunate if we had to wait for them to finish the whole series before we could access the already completed works. I would rather upgrade what I have already as volumes are completed, but I suppose this all depends on what IVP chooses to do.

Edited by davesalyer, 24 July 2008 - 12:35 PM.

#8 Dru Brooke-Taylor

Dru Brooke-Taylor

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

I can see the logic of waiting until the series is complete. Even so, I note that one of the Editors of the Historical Books volume is Hugh Williamson. Anything by him is bound to be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users