Let's see your "User Notes"!!!

Fr. Matthew Thurman

I've gained a great deal out of following the "Let's see your Start Up page!" thread and thought I'd see if we could do a similar thread for User Notes. Unfortunately, I don't have a good example of my own to offer! Maybe some input will change that. What do you use the "User Notes" feature for? Can you post some examples?

I use notes quite extensively.

I have three that I use regularly in preparing text, and at Bible college lectures. I have a flowchart (for syntactical flow diagrams), a translation (for rough-and-ready attempts), and exegetical notes.

This is what my OT workspace looks like:

post-4836-1217594608_thumb.png

My New Testament space is similar:

post-4836-1217594652_thumb.png

The flowcharts are spatial - the relative indents indicate contingency, dependent clauses, or levels of discourse.

As you can see, some of the stuff is quite involved.

<rant>

I've spoken with Roy about editing user notes in situ (rather than a separate window) - this is why I (and pretty much everybody else at my college) would find it useful. As a general rule we all do this kind of work on any passage we approach, and mucking around with separate windows and only one note/verse at a time makes it very difficult, especially for flow diagrams. In addition to that, the lack of unicode in user notes is frustrating, as I've got to keep mucking about with fonts all the time, rather than a simple keyboard flick.

</rant>

That's my workspace. As I say, many others at Moore Theological College (Sydney, Australia) do a similar thing.

• 3 months later...

Freney,

Your use of diagrams and other user notes intrigues me. I've owned Accordance for a couple years but have not really learned it very deeply. I assume your different windows were linked together so that as you scrolled one, the others would go to the appropriate passages, correct? Did you just create the Flowchart, for example, in a user note (complete with indentions, etc.)? Is there anyway to link to an actual diagram using Accordance's (create-your-own) diagram feature?

What I like about your set up is that you've got all your exegesis tabs and windows right there. Thanks for showing us this. Now I have to go and try to figure out how to make this work on mine!! :blink:

Brad

I assume your different windows were linked together so that as you scrolled one, the others would go to the appropriate passages, correct? Did you just create the Flowchart, for example, in a user note (complete with indentions, etc.)? Is there anyway to link to an actual diagram using Accordance's (create-your-own) diagram feature?

Hi Brad,

Both the Flowchart and the Exegesis panes are user notes, created just using the bare text editing tools (i.e. indenting with 4 spaces, etc.). Doing the Hebrew one was a little tricky to set up properly because of the change from RTL hebrew text to LTR latin, but once I got the template working it was ok to keep going.

As far as I'm aware there's no way to link to the diagramming feature, but for me that's not really much of a problem. (Actually, there might be in the most recent release, with hyperlink ability added to user modules? Not sure.) As I understand it, the tools there mimic a North-American style of grammar education that we in Australia haven't ever received, and as such don't really make much sense of grammar without spending a lot of time working over it, so I've never found it that useful actually. Your experience may differ!

Because the panes are user notes, if you open them up with a bible text as I've done here they all scroll nicely, since they're attached to the appropriate verses. So with the Greek window, for example, if I scroll down in the GNT text, when I get to v. 6 my flowchart window will jump down to the 1:6-8 entry, the user note attached to John 1:6.

Hope that helps,

Sam.

• 3 weeks later...

It's not what I'd recommend for anyone else to copy in exactly the same way, but I have been maintaining my translation in User Notes for over ten years now. Since they are frequently changing documents, I have not gone the route of making them into a user text. Here's a screen shot of the first part of 1 Thessalonians:

post-8324-1229248701_thumb.png

To make it all work, I have to put the SFM codes in by hand, and then I have some Perl scripts to turn it into a full SFM file, and then to import that into InDesign for formatting and printing. As I say, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else, and I probably wouldn't do it the same way if I was starting again. But having the text scroll along with source texts is very useful.

By the by, the reason I got into using a Mac was because that's what Moore College was using when I was a student there in the 80s, and Accordance is one of the top reasons I stick with the Mac in a very Windows-centric environment!

John

--

John Brownie, john_brownie@sil.org or j.brownie@sil.org.pg

Summer Institute of Linguistics | Mussau-Emira language, Mussau Is.

Ukarumpa, Eastern Highlands Province | New Ireland Province

Papua New Guinea | Papua New Guinea

You can have more than one set of notes, and have multiple notes on the verse open at once?

Absolutely!

• 1 month later...
Hi Brad,

Both the Flowchart and the Exegesis panes are user notes, created just using the bare text editing tools (i.e. indenting with 4 spaces, etc.). Doing the Hebrew one was a little tricky to set up properly because of the change from RTL hebrew text to LTR latin, but once I got the template working it was ok to keep going.

As far as I'm aware there's no way to link to the diagramming feature, but for me that's not really much of a problem. (Actually, there might be in the most recent release, with hyperlink ability added to user modules? Not sure.) As I understand it, the tools there mimic a North-American style of grammar education that we in Australia haven't ever received, and as such don't really make much sense of grammar without spending a lot of time working over it, so I've never found it that useful actually. Your experience may differ!

Because the panes are user notes, if you open them up with a bible text as I've done here they all scroll nicely, since they're attached to the appropriate verses. So with the Greek window, for example, if I scroll down in the GNT text, when I get to v. 6 my flowchart window will jump down to the 1:6-8 entry, the user note attached to John 1:6.

Hope that helps,

Sam.

Sam, on your Flowchart, how did you put 5 verses together (John 1.1-5)?

Sam, on your Flowchart, how did you put 5 verses together (John 1.1-5)?

Simple: the 5 verses are copied from the bible text and pasted into the note attached to verse 1.

The number of verses I put together are based on what I think a logical unit/sub-unit/idea is. It's essentially a compromise between having my notes linked back to the text as tightly as possible and being able to lay out and structure things as a flow chart over a range of verses.

It's not ideal, as they are only attached at the first verse, but you can change the note reference to refer to the whole range, which means that when you click on the header/reference in the user note you get taken to the whole passage.

Archived