Syriac Peshitta texts missing seyame (plural marker)

Thomas

I've been meaning to ask this for a while now, but I've noticed that the plural marker in the Syriac texts is missing from Accordance's distribution of the Syriac Peshitta (see image). Curiously, the marker does appear in the Curetonianus and Sinaiticus (albeit improperly with rish + seyame). The Logos version of the Peshitta has the seyame, which had me peaking over the fence. In fact they also have Kiraz's Syriac lexicon. We have it, sort of, but only as it appears an instant details <_< .

ܬܐܘܡܐ

(of course, no Mac browser will render this correctly *sigh again*)

post-1078-1224707564_thumb.png

Hi Thomas,

As one of the developers who worked on this module, I can tell you that the source files for the Peshitta only indicate the seyame in nine places:

Bethphage (bytpga): Matt 21.1; Mark 11.1

Decapolis (osrtmdynta): Matt 4.25; Mark 5.20; 7.31

high priest (rbkwmra): Heb 4.15; 9.7, 11

Boanerges (bnyrgvy): Mark 3.17

Curiouser still, the various versions of the Peshitta (in Kiraz's print edition Comparative Edition of the Syriac Gospels, our files derived from Kiraz's SEDRA database, and possibly related web Unicode versions) don't match each other in details. In general, the printed edition is fullest. Unfortunately, neither the fairly detailed preface to CESG nor the documentation for SEDRA shed light on these discrepancies. I agree that the current state is not ideal, but we cannot easily nor reliably supply items that are missing in our files (cf. the situation with page numbers--we are dependent on what publishers give to us).

In any case, I hope you are aware of Mellel, which has very robust Syriac (as well as Hebrew and Arabic) rendering, and which may provide a complement (in working with web Unicode Peshitta files) to Accordance's searching capabilities.

J. P.

Thanks.

Note though it does appear in Curetonianus throughout, that's why I found it most peculiar that it wasn't there in the Peshitto.

Mellel yes. I use for all ANE languages, incl. Akkadian, Ugaritic, Syriac, Arabic, etc. Excellent product.

Tagent:

1. Any reason Kiraz's glossary/dictionary was not included in the Syriac set? Logos has this dictionary module.

2. Typeface: Any way to change the font within Accordance to Serto instead of Enstrangelo? I suspect not, but it would've been a nice option.

thomas

• 2 weeks later...

Here is an image from Logos. Note that their Peshitta text does have the seyame included (and in Serto script, a nice option of fonts---and yes, there are some vowel consonant collisions). I guess I'm not understanding how it is that the text they were given has the seyame, but the text that Accordance was given does not. As I mentioned above, the seyame does appear in S and C moduels though these lack the vowels. It might seem like a Kleinigkeit, but I find the seyame marks rather useful.

And to reiterate, the above, was Kiraz's Analytical Lexicon of the Syriac New Testament not made available as an independent module for Accordance? I can see a gloss in the instant details, but no lexicon.

post-1078-1225826880_thumb.jpg

Archived