• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 23 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

Hey all,
This is a "just for fun" for anyone that wants to have a go at it.
Here's the simple search string I came up with to find all non-articular genitive participles with a genitive substantive beside it:

[VERB participle genitive] <NOT> <PRECEDED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words> [ARTICLE genitive] <AND> <WITHIN 1 Words> ([NOUN genitive], [ARTICLE genitive], [ADJECTIVE genitive])

The goal was to find most candidates for a genitive absolute. But, this structure has limitations, of course... problem allowing some but not all intervening words, etc.
I was toying with how to replace the "<NOT> <PRECEDED BY> <WITHIN 1 Words>" syntax with one using simple word order and a negative wildcard, but couldn't get it right. Was trying things like:

[ARTICLE genitive]@-* [verb participle genitive]
[ARTICLE genitive]-@* [verb participle genitive]
-[ARTICLE genitive] [verb participle genitive]

Am I missing something?

I'm now going to work up a Greek Construct search that allows certain intervening words etc., which is how this should be done, but I always try text searches first.

I'd be interested in seeing a correct simple search syntax using a negative wildcard.
I'd also be fun to see suggestions for a Genitive Absolute search using any manner. Including construct screenshots.
If I like mine, I'll post it.
Joe Weaks
The Macintosh Biblioblog

Sometimes I'm so helpful even I can't stand it.

#2 Joe Weaks

Joe Weaks

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:I like things that are Orange, and possibly Blue.
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:03 AM

So... anyone have a good Greek construct window for finding Genitive Absolutes? Frankly, I'm having trouble getting at one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users