Finding sofei tevot (ends of words)

justinj

Hi,

I'm trying to search for four Hebrew words in order such that the last letter of each word spells mashiach (משיח). A different search program I've used shows that the only phrase that matches this criteria is Psalm 72:5, with the phrase

‏עם שמש ולפני ירח

However when I search with Accordance using the following search

‏מ *ש *י *ח*

it returns only Jeremiah 48:46, based on the phrase

‏עם כמוש כי לקחו

This isn't what I want though, since it matches the ח instead of the ו in the word לקחו. I tried changing my search to

‏מ =*ש =*י =*ח*=

to make sure it is an exact match, and not based on the shoresh, but now it doesn't find anything.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks much.

Justin

Simply use quotes around the expression to specify that you are searching for the inflected form (as it appears in the text).

Simply use quotes around the expression to specify that you are searching for the inflected form (as it appears in the text).

I tried the search with double quotes around it and it still didn't find anything. Are you getting different results?

Sorry you need to add a construct which allows for single letter words (prefixes) between the words. I can explain more later.

This proved quite complex and took some refining. This construct allows up to 2 single letter words such as prefixes but not suffixes between each word. It took a while and found only your verse.

construct1.jpg

However, it does not allow for the fact that the yod could be a suffix. I therefore also tried this construct:

construct2.jpg

but it did not find anything.

You could use a single within encompassing the entire phrase.

Archived