#1 Tom

Tom

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:16 PM

I want to buy Grudem's Systematic Theology, I really do. Especially while it is on sale. But I am wondering if I wouldn’t use it more in print form ($30)? Could someone give me their best reasons one might use this with their Accordance study? Seems to me a massive theological volume like this wouldn't have too many side-by-side usages with passages of scripture like a commentary would have. Wouldn't it be easier to find and read a topic from the printed version by looking it up in the index and reading long paragraphs from the printed page? Perhaps I am missing something, and in a way I hope I am. That is why I am asking this question. Are the scripture references in this resource hyperlinked? Or topics or major headings that link to scripture passages? As a Pastor, I would like to use this resource as I study a particular passage in scripture and be able to easily see where Grudem is using any of these verses in another pane. Can I do this?

O.K., help me out on this. I want to spend the $40 and I think I can come up with it. But in this case I am thinking the hard copy might be the best form for this resource and save me $10 to boot.

Please convince me otherwise.
Tom
B.S. (Education, Bryan College)
Th.M. (Systematic Theology, Dallas Seminary)
M.A., Ph.D. (Classical Philosophy, University of Dallas)
Pastor/Teacher

#2 Charles Stock

Charles Stock

Silver

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:21 PM

Tom,

I have used the printed version, but purchased the Accordance module.

I want to buy Grudem's Systematic Theology, I really do. Especially while it is on sale. But I am wondering if I wouldn’t use it more in print form ($30)? Could someone give me their best reasons one might use this with their Accordance study?

Speed is a reason. If you travel, you have a great library aid with you whenever you would like to use it.

Seems to me a massive theological volume like this wouldn't have too many side-by-side usages with passages of scripture like a commentary would have. Wouldn't it be easier to find and read a topic from the printed version by looking it up in the index and reading long paragraphs from the printed page? Perhaps I am missing something, and in a way I hope I am.

There is an elegance and tactile delight in printed books. No computer ever will replace the joys of paper and ink, but it becomes a very versatile tool in the Accordance program.

That is why I am asking this question. Are the scripture references in this resource hyperlinked? Or topics or major headings that link to scripture passages? As a Pastor, I would like to use this resource as I study a particular passage in scripture and be able to easily see where Grudem is using any of these verses in another pane. Can I do this?

You can search in a variety of ways. Yes, you can search by verse, by word, phrase and several other ways. I've attached a screen shot.

Hopefully, this can help you decide.

Charles

Attached Files

#3 davesalyer

davesalyer

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:51 PM

I don't have Grudem for Accordance but I can comment on paper vs. accordance in general.

My approach depends on the type of work. If it is the kind of book that I want to sit down and read all the way through, word for word and then only reference on rare occasion then I purchase it in paper.

With Grudem however, it is unlikely that I will read it page by page all the way through. More likely, I will have a question about a certain issue and go find Grudem and skim a page or two on that issue. If that is my main use for the work then it makes more sense to get the module because I can accomplish this task much quicker and without having to have the book on hand (or having to get out of a chair to go find it). Also, any scripture reference searches will be so much faster than in the paper version. If you are looking at Acts 1 and you want to quickly see if Grudem says anything about that chapter you can do it with a few clicks rather than finding the scripture index and looking up the seven different pages where Grudem references it.

I don't think there is any reason to choose the paper version over accordance unless it is a work that you plan to read word for word. Reference works become so much more useful (and thus used) in accordance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users