User Tool

Ron Bailey

The recent blog included a piece about using URLs in the User Tool...

For internet URLs, simply enter the full URL into your user tool and make it a link. For example, let's say I want to reference the online Liddell & Scott lexicon entry for agapao. I would just enter the link below...

Could you talk me through this? Suppose I wanted to link to the resources at BlueLetterBible which is at ... BlueLetterBible.. how would I do that? Thank you.

You'll want to begin by navigating in your browser to the Blue Letter Bible resource you'd like to link to. For example, if I want to link to Martin Luther's 95 Theses, I'd go to Blue Letter Bible, select the "Commentaries" link, choose "Luther, Martin," select "Ninety-Five Theses," and then choose "Ninety-Five Thesis on the Power of Indulgences." Next, I need to copy the entire link that is displayed in my browser address field (http://www.blueletterbible.org/commentaries/comm_view.cfm?AuthorID=23&contentID=8178&commInfo=70&topic=Ninety-Five%20Theses).

After I've copied the entire address for the specific resource I want to link to, I paste that address into my User Tool edit window, select the entire address I've just pasted, and then click the Make Link button.

After you update your User Tool, you will be able to click the link from the viewing pane for your User Tool and be taken via your Internet browser to the specified resource.

Hope this helps!

After you update your User Tool, you will be able to click the link from the viewing pane for your User Tool and be taken via your Internet browser to the specified resource.

thanks Sean, I am a bit of a dummy with the User Tool function. So I will need to find it and then find the 'viewing pane' first. I have tried but so far without success.

I'm not sure if viewing pane is the correct term. What I was referring to was the window or tab that displays your User Tool.

You can refer to Accordance Help (select the Help menu and choose Accordance Help) for instructions on how to create and edit a User Tool. Once you open the help file, select Doing Your Own Thing from the list on the left and then choose User Tools to display the relevant information.

Once you've created a User Tool and are familiar with how to edit it, you'll be well situated to follow the steps I outlined for creating a link to an internet resource.

I think I am getting there!

Currently I now have 2 options in My Tools; External Study Sites and Resurgence-Greek. When I click My Tools, by default, it goes to the first of these External Study Sites. This has a drop down window which reveals

External Study Sites

Resurgence-Greek

I make my choice and then click the displayed URL and the site chosen opens out in my browser.

I had thought I was going to be able to create a My Tool called 'External Study Sites' in which I could collect the URLs from frequently used study sites. It seems I can't do this but have to have a separate My Tool for each site... how am I doing so far? :unsure:

You're off to a good start!

From what you explained, it appears you've succeeded in placing one link into your User Tool. When viewing your User Tool (External Study Sites), select Edit User Tool from the Selection menu (or press command-u) to open the edit window. With the Edit Window open, you can add more links and any notes you may also wish to include.

You do not need to create a new User Tool for each link; you can use one User Tool as the repository of all your links if you wish. Using titles (explained in Accordance help) you can also organize your links.

Here's a screenshot of a User Tool I quickly created to demonstrate what I'm explaining:

post-14003-1226423753_thumb.png

This is looking much better but I am a bit erratic in results. I will perservere! Many thanks for all your help.

Archived