5 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew Seymour

Matthew Seymour

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to get accordance to output a list of all the words that occur less than a certain number of times within a particular passage/book. It seems that I can only get output in terms of verses, but not in terms of individual words. I also don't know how to compose a search that runs a query in terms of occurrences.

Thanks.

Matthew

#2 Mike Thigpen

Mike Thigpen

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Old Testament, Hebrew, ANE History, etc.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 12 December 2008 - 01:20 PM

Matthew,

See this thread for a discussion of the different uses of the Count command to generate the type of list you're looking for. You can generate a list of either the lemmas that fall within the specified frequency range or a list of the different inflected forms that fall within the specified range.

HTH,
Mike

Edited by Mike Thigpen, 12 December 2008 - 01:21 PM.

#3 Matthew Seymour

Matthew Seymour

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:55 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the pointer, I think I've sort it out now.

MS

#4 Rod Decker

Rod Decker

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:58 PM

Here's another way to get some info:

Accord search for all words in a specified range that occur only a given number of times in the entire NT:

[range Mark] <AND> [count 1]

You can adjust the range name and the count number as needed.
Rodney J. Decker, ThD
Professor of NT & Greek
Baptist Bible Seminary
NTResources.com/blog/

#5 RobertCRobinson

RobertCRobinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 05 January 2009 - 04:16 PM

On generating personalized vocabulary lists:
The command [RANGE Romans] <AND> [COUNT 1-2] will give a list of 215 words, every word that occurs only once or twice in the entire NT that also occurs in the book of Romans.

The command [COUNT 1-2] with the range set to Romans (in the More options section below the search definition pane) will give a list of 875 words that occur only once or twice in the book of Romans, though it will be apparent that many of these (such as the first hit Pauvlo▀) occur elsewhere in the NT.

Here is a suggestion for making a personalized vocabulary list. I set up a file in User Notes and named it Vocabulary. As I read in GNT, whenever I have to use the Instant Details window to identify a word, I triple click that word to look it up in UBS Lexicon. I press command-A to select the word and its glosses, command-C to copy, then go back to the GNT tab where the text is that I am reading. I place my cursor in the verse in which the word appears and press command-U (edit User Note) and paste in the unfamiliar word with its gloss. Later, after I am done reading, I open a new User Notes tab (File>New>User Notes) and enter the chapter or book name in the search pane and there is my own personalized vocabulary list for that chapter or book. I copy and paste it into Pages and print it for review.

#6 RobertCRobinson

RobertCRobinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Accordance Version:8.x

Posted 06 January 2009 - 08:17 PM

Regarding my post yesterday: Attached is an example of a personalized vocabulary list created in the manner I described. The shot is from a Pages document. If the file did not upload email me if you wish and I will send you a copy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users