Photo

Erasures and such in Qumran Hebrew texts.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aperrin

aperrin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

I was hoping someone could give me a crash course in the symbols used in the Hebrew Qumran modules that are used to indicate erasures and above line insertions. If I am not mistaken "{...}" is used for insertions. I only recently came across the sigla "<<...>>". Does this mean the text has been erased but is still somewhat visible?

Thanks,
Andy

#2 jpkang

jpkang

Platinum

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Comparative Semitics; ancient Hebrew semantics; Hebrew syntax; history and religion of ancient Israel; history of interpretation.
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 29 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

The QUMRAN - Read me first document (essential reading!) inside the /Accordance folder/Read Mes folder states, in part:

[] material between single square brackets represent the modern editor's reconstruction.

[[ ]] double square brackets represent a vacat, an area of unwritten skin left by the scribe. These are usually related to sense breaks in the text.

{} single curly brackets represent the modern editors’ decision that errant text should be removed.

{{}} double curly brackets indicate various types of erasure at the hand of the ancient copyists/editors.

() parentheses are normally used to indicate alternate reconstructions. A few modern editors used them to indicate damaged skin or especially uncertain letter traces.

<> single angle brackets offer the modern editors’ suggested corrections to missing or errant text

<<>> double angle brackets indicate an ancient copyist/editor's correction to the text (other than supralinear, see directly below)

^ ^ carats indicate supralinear corrections made by ancient copyists/editors.

I copied this from the November 2008 version of the Read Me, so it may differ if you have an older version, in which case you should check for an update to the module.
J. P. Kang, Ph.D. (Bible)

#3 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 05:57 PM

On the Primary DVDs there is a new module in the English tools called Read Me-Modules which collates all the read me files. We have plans to develop this further.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#4 aperrin

aperrin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

#5 nicklaurence

nicklaurence

Bronze

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

I'm bumping this one (a little!), in part because it seems to me there's been a small change since the above posts were written. If you want to understand the symbols in the Dead Sea Scrolls modules you'll need to access these "Read Mes" through the Help Menu:

Help -> Documentation -> DSSB Read me first

I hope this is helpful to people - I've been looking a little while before finding this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users