Context of Scripture Module

Jonna Schmidt

Hi: does anyone use the Context of Scripture Module? I bought the module to help get background information on ancient practices. I am experiencing two problems tonight as I read through Gen 19. This is the passage where Abraham extends hospitality to his guests even at the cost of potentially sacrificing his daughters.

Q1 Is there a way that I can (for example) select Gen 19:8 and then somehow get references in this module?

Q2 I entered =Gen 19:8 under Scripture in the module, and I had 6 hits. However, the hits were just footnotes, that

were references to ancient Babylonian codes.

Anyway, I was hoping that I could somehow get information about these ancient customs. Any insight into how this module might help?

This is the passage where Abraham extends hospitality to his guests even at the cost of potentially sacrificing his daughters.

I think you mean Lot.

COS is a scholarly publication: the translations of the ancient texts that bear on the Bible, with minimal comments by the translators.

You are using COS correctly. =Gen 19 in the Scripture field yields 6 references to this chapter. Click on the reference marker to the left to jump to the specific portion of a text that is thought to have some bearing on the reference. Then click the article button up to see the context of the text and reach the introduction by the translator. However, in this tool you are left to draw your own conclusions as to the relevance and significance of the texts.

You may find the that IVP Bible Background Commentary: Old Testament is a better introduction, although it is not particularly enlightening on this verse. It comes with the New Testament Background Commentary and Dictionary on the Essential IVP Reference Library. The IVP Hard Sayings of the Bible is an excellent resource.

This is of course a very tough verse, and a quick search of the Accordance library has yielded me only a couple of comments in Anchor Bible Dictionary, and Word Biblical Commentary, but nothing that really deals with the issue in the light of the culture of the day. Perhaps some of our scholars can point you to resources on this topic.

Thanks. It does help to know that I am using the tool correctly.

I think you mean Lot.

Yes, I meant Lot. Must have been tired. Will try the IVP Hard Sayings of the Bible

Archived