Jump to content


Photo

Problem with New User Tool


  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ramiro

Ramiro

    Member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Roma, TX
  • Interests:Photography, Bible Study, Church History, Patristics
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

I am trying to add some documents in Spanish to the User Tools, but after the documents import, I notice that all of the words with accent marks or Spanish special characters are all displayed with strange letters or characters. I am importing the documents as HTML docs from a single HTML page, and in the HTML page the do display properly. Am I doing something wrong? Or Accordance doesn't recognize the special characters? Please advise.

#2 Ramiro

Ramiro

    Member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Roma, TX
  • Interests:Photography, Bible Study, Church History, Patristics
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 04 February 2009 - 02:29 PM

Anyone?

#3 Sean R.

Sean R.

    Gold

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Russellville, TN
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:28 PM

Unfortunately I'm unable to help. I have, however, experienced the same issue when importing an HTML file that contained special characters. Hopefully someone will offer some helpful advice.

Also, welcome to the Accordance forum. I'm fairly new myself, and I'm continually impressed with the excellent supportóboth from other users and the developers.
Sean Reed

#4 Ramiro

Ramiro

    Member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Roma, TX
  • Interests:Photography, Bible Study, Church History, Patristics
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 05 February 2009 - 05:51 PM

Helen refered me to a guy from Spain that has been extremely helpful. The issue is that the HTML files that we want to import into Accordance need to be in the UTF-8, no BOM encoding for them to import properly. I have tried 3 different text editors and none have that encoding. Ruben from Spain, said that BBEdit has it. Other than that, the only other way I know importing works is to import the document as it comes. Then with the document open in the user tool, press CMD U to edit the document. Open the original HTML file in TextEdit on the Mac, and select the entire body of the text and copy it, then select the entire text of the document inside Accordance and paste. Then simply click on Update. This way, the special characters will display properly. Doing the copy and paste process is not clean either, I have had to go in and modify the text so that titles are bold and the body of the text is not, plus fix justification and several other things. Ruben has been gracious enough to offer help in importing a few documents I need, so I took him up on his offer, so a great shout out goes to Ruben Gonzalez from Spain for helping out.

#5 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

    Administrator

  • Admin
  • 2,355 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 05 February 2009 - 06:52 PM

TextWrangler is a stripped down version of BBEdit, by the same company. It does save to UTF-8, no BOM (just checked). I love it and use it for a lot of misc. text work, when I need something pure and accurate, not pretty (like textedit or pages).
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#6 Ramiro

Ramiro

    Member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Roma, TX
  • Interests:Photography, Bible Study, Church History, Patristics
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 05 February 2009 - 10:48 PM

TextWrangler is a stripped down version of BBEdit, by the same company. It does save to UTF-8, no BOM (just checked). I love it and use it for a lot of misc. text work, when I need something pure and accurate, not pretty (like textedit or pages).


It doesn't seem to work, after opening the file in TextWrangler, all coding options are greyed out, so I can't change it. If there is a way to do that, please let me know.

#7 Joel Brown

Joel Brown

    Administrator

  • Admin
  • 2,355 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Houston, TX
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:19 AM

I'm no TextWrangler expert, and that behavior seems a bit odd to me. I tried it with a few files over here, and I was always able to change the encoding. If you'd like to send me a sample file, I can take a look at it and see whats up. You can also try copying and pasting the file from within TextWrangler to a new TextWrangler file, then saving as HTML again in UTF-8. It is possible that for some reason your initial file is corrupt, causing all of these problems. A copy/paste from TextWrangler should maintain everything exactly as it is.
Joel Brown

By day: Consultant for Oaktree
By night: Freelance Trombonist and Private Instructor

#8 Ramiro

Ramiro

    Member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Roma, TX
  • Interests:Photography, Bible Study, Church History, Patristics
  • Accordance Version:9.x

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

Actually, I was wrong, the encoding options were at the bottom, however, after changing the encoding to UTF-8, no BOM and imported the file into Accordance, it still didn't import correctly. I am going to try the copy and past into another TW document and see if that works.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users