ESV Online Study Bible

YingLam

Hi,

Is there any difference between the content at the web, and the resources that I have when I purchase the $70 ESV Study Bible here?

Blessings,

YingLam

Hi, YingLam!

Good question. Wish I had a good answer.

The obvious difference is that the module works within Accordance and resides on your computer (no connection to the internet needed), so it's completely portable. Purchasing the Accordance module does not give someone access to the online web site, so I have no way of checking out those resources personally. I did try though!

oh....i c. Thanks Dr. J.

According to Amazon.com, the ESV study Bible hard-copy costs $45, and it offers the online access. So...what...is...the advantage that I order the Accordance module at $70, without access to the online content?

My question has not changed actually from the previous one.

:blink:

Sorry for asking this..........................But I do wonder, especially when internet access is nearly everywhere now....

Blessings,

YingLam

I'd be interested in hearing from a user who has tried both the online version and the Accordance version, but for now, I'll chime in. First, if you already have the ESV translation, which is included with the Library 8 Standard and Premier levels, and which can be unlocked with any level, you don't pay $70, you only pay $40.

Second, the integration of the ESV Study Bible Notes into the entire Accordance interface has a number of advantages:

1. You can display them in a parallel pane alongside the text of the Bible

2. You can search them with all the power of Accordance, including multi-field searches, Search All, etc.

3. You can click to follow links to the lexicons, extrabiblical texts, church fathers, etc.

4. You can highlight text in the ESV Study Bible Notes

5. You don't have to deal with the slowness of even a fast internet connection, or the challenges of navigating a web-based interface.

6. You can amplify to the ESV Study Bible Notes directly from any text in Accordance.

I'm sure the online version of the ESV Study Bible is very well designed and highly useful, but a web-based interface simply can't compare with Accordance.

Hope this helps.

thanks...........................

still hope to hear from someone using the web version........

Scott

I have used the ESVSB web version. I don't have the Accordance module yet (I'm poor), but having used the program for awhile I understand how convenient it will be once I get it. Aside from the advantages mentioned about the module, I would add some areas where the web version is not as convenient compared to an Accordance module:

On the web version...

a) you can scroll over the cross-reference superscript letters within the verse and it will pull up a small window that lists the verse reference only. To look at these verses you then have to copy and paste them into the search bar and navigate away from your text or open another tab/window. In accordance you can scroll over the cross references and instantly see the verse in the instant details box. I think it is odd that in the notes section of the web version, scrolling over a verse ref pulls up the verse, but not in the cross reference superscripts.

B) the notes are in a separate column to the right of the text. These columns scroll together no matter the length of the notes. This means that in order to see the note for John 1:3 you have to scroll down the page so far that the text of John 3 is no longer visible. Now, this is overcome on the web version by simply scrolling over the verse ref at the beginning of the note which brings up an overlay with that verse so it is not necessarily bad, but I assume that in Accordance the notes track with the text as they do in other commentaries. This would make it easier to keep text and notes lined up and easily compared, especially if you want to see the context of John 1:3 and not just that verse.

c) because the notes are often much longer than the verses they expound upon, most of the notes are cut short with a "more" link at the bottom. You click on this link to view the whole note and then click "less" to shrink it back down. It's a great feature to save space on the web page but does add to the clicking and mouse movements required to read the note and I imagine is not necessary in the accordance module because of the tracking aspects mentioned above.

d) all the fonts and sizes are essentially fixed. In Accordance these are customizable.

e) the notes appear next to the ESV version. I love the ESV, but it is cool that in Accordance the ESV notes can track with any translation you want not to mention alongside hundreds of other resources.

f) the online notes feature and highlighting that Crossway has developed is great. However, you can do all the same things with Accordance and you can still access it all when you don't have the internet. Not to mention that your online notes on the ESV website are totally in Crossway's (quite capable I'm sure) hands, whereas you have control of your Accordance notes on your computer (and you only have yourself to blame if you don't back those up)

So the web version of ESVSB is great and Crossway did a wonderful job of developing it and giving people access to it. None of this is a criticism of that service, it's just that Accordance is built for this kind of thing and a webpage really isn't so Accrodance has some advantages here. Hope that helps. Full disclosure: I did not receive any form of payment from Accordance for this endorsement... yet... :)

The online ESV Study Bible is actually quite nice and has a lot of features. It comes free when you buy a print edition (I pre-ordered mine).

You can access Matthew for free so you can get a feel for everything.

http://www.esvstudybible.org/search?q=Matthew+1

There are actually advantages to having web access vs Accordance...but there are advantages to Accordance over web access as well.

Obviously, you cannot really compare the two in the respect that the ESV Study Bible is just an online version of the print edition.

Accordance is much much more than that.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

As I checked the free ESV Online Study Bible of The Gospel of Matthew at here:

http://www.esvstudybible.org/search?q=Matthew+1#b2

I am amazed at the cross references it lists for each verse.

I want to know if I purchase the ESV Study Bible in Accordance, do I get those cross-references? For example, when I look at Matthew 1:1, and I place the cursor over the cross reference 'b', it shows that there are relevances between this particular verse, with these

2 Samuel 7:12-16

Psalm 132:11

Isaiah 11:1

Jeremiah 23:5

Luke 1:32

Luke 1:69

John 7:42

Acts 2:30

Acts 13:23

Romans 1:3

2 Timothy 2:8

Revelation 22:16

My question is:

1. Can I find the this same piece of info in the Accordance version?

2. Can I show all of these verses at one page, just as this:

http://www.esvstudybible.org/search?q=Matt...8%2CRev+22%3A16

Thanks God, thank you......

Blessings,

YingLam, a Chinese from Hong Kong

Yes, you most certainly can. Open a new workspace pane with the ESV or ESVS, ESV Crossrefs, ESV Notes, and ESV Study Bible in parallel. As you scroll through any selected passage, you will have all the resources of the ESV Study Bible available at a glance. You'll have all of these modules if you purchase the ESV Study Bible.

I've spent a little bit of time using the ESV Study Bible online. And I've spent quite a bit of time using the ESV Study Bible in Accordance. In my opinion, Accordance is the better choice hands down.

The ESV Crossrefs module is included with the ESV translation, so if you already have the ESV, you already have the cross-references. As Sean pointed out, you can display this module in parallel with the ESV and the ESV Study Bible Notes. Then you can command-click any link to display all the cross-references in a single window.

I just wanted to mention a couple of other advantages of the Accordance module vs. the online version of the ESV Study Bible. First, when you use the "instant details box" of the online version, often longer verses will be cut off. That's not a huge problem, but is sometimes annoying. But one advantage that I find to be really helpful, and am surprised has not been mentioned yet, is that the hyper-text links in the notes in the Accordance module are not limited to Bible verses, but include other types of links as well. For example, there are links to Church Fathers, Josephus, Philo, the Talmud, Mishna, etc. And if a reference is to a work that does not exist as an Accordance module, the link will take you online to the Perseus website and the pertinent work! I have not seen this capability in previous modules, so I think this is new in the ESV Study Bible module. It is truly a beneficial feature to have.

The ESV Crossrefs module is included with the ESV translation, so if you already have the ESV, you already have the cross-references. As Sean pointed out, you can display this module in parallel with the ESV and the ESV Study Bible Notes. Then you can command-click any link to display all the cross-references in a single window.

Also related to the command-click is the click and drag. If you click down on one link, but then drag over some others before letting up the mouse button, it will open up all of the links you 'selected'. This is sort of an in-between between just showing the one link you clicked and always showing all of them.

• 2 months later...

Just on a slight tangent. As one who owns a print copy of the ESV Study Bible and (as a result) has complete access to the online version, I've been playing a little bit with it and Accordance. As of yet, I haven't come up with the $$ to get the Accordance module. In the meantime, I've found that it's very easy to "cut and paste" notes from the online version for assorted studies I'm doing in Accordance. Just a thought...

The easiest way for you to experience the Accordance ESV Study Bible is to download and watch the "webinar" on the ESV Study Bible found at http://www.accordancebible.com/support/webinars.php. I have both the printed version and the Accordance module. I highly recommend the Accordance module over the online version!

• 2 weeks later...

...and thanks to the current Accordance sale on study bibles, I took the plunge and purchased the ESV Study Bible add-on for $30 (I already have the ESV as a translation installed). Thank you Accordance!

Archived