History in Hebrew

danzac

Not sure if this is a feature request or a bug. I was working with KB doing a number of word lookups. I then wanted to go back to a word previously looked up, so naturally turned to the history choices. Unfortunately the history choices were in roman characters, not Hebrew. I couldn't tell what was what. A quick check revealed the same thing for Greek history in BDAG (though Greek is a little easier to figure out).

Is there any way we can see the actual Hebrew and Greek words appear in that history?

It could perhaps be done, but would involve a lot of programming, and we feel there are more important features to add.

• 4 weeks later...
It could perhaps be done, but would involve a lot of programming, and we feel there are more important features to add.

You can often guess what the word was (especially if you typed it in the first place), but this reminds me that really sooner or later Accordance could do with going properly Unicode thoughout (which would resolve display issues like this). However, that's going to be a major headache in several areas, I imagine. For one thing, Accordance offers extreme backwards compatibility on old Mac OS versions which don't support Unicode so well as 10.3+ Multiple code-bases wouldn't be fun to support.

However, there are so many advantages to supporting Unicode throughout, that I hope the team will be able to factor it in somewhere before long. Let me give some examples:

Typing my own notes, I may be used to using the system-wide keyboard switcher to switch between Greek, Hebrew and Roman scripts. This doesn't work at the moment as Accordance uses its own earlier system of dealing with all this, that had to be developed before Apple caught up. But perhaps we can use Apple's standard now? or soon? Similarly Apple's Hebrew - QWERTY keyboard is rather different from Accordance's layout, so it gets quite frustrating when you're used to Apple's one working out how to type in Accordance, even if Accordance is much more sophisticated in automatically handling the word-final forms.

So, this suggestion can only be sensibly offered as a side-effect of more widespread Unicodification, I would think. If anything were to be suggested, then changing History to include in the menu a prefix of "Words:" or "Verses:" might be helpful (especially if you could make the prefix grey or otherwise understated). Even W: or V:, or default to show Words and just prefix with "Reference: " if it's a verses reference. I guess the problem with using Hebrew/Greek text is that the history doesn't remember what text is used for the search, which is good when you want to search for the same reference/words in another text, but it makes it not a full history.

While we're in this area, I wonder if you would consider slightly rearranging the search area so that VERSION, search type, search box, history and the nice blue GO button are all on the same line, somewhat like web browsers. It seems that would help link into current user expectation from the browsers like Safari. I know Accordance was here before Web Browsers but we can all learn from each other. It would save a little space and make it seem neater. I never need a very big search box and can hardly imagine that being a problem. That area is nicely resizable anyway for that purpose.

post-16985-1238064454_thumb.png

Similarly Apple's Hebrew - QWERTY keyboard is rather different from Accordance's layout, so it gets quite frustrating when you're used to Apple's one working out how to type in Accordance, even if Accordance is much more sophisticated in automatically handling the word-final forms.

You can set Accordance to use that keyboard layout in prefs > Greek & Hebrew.

Is there any way we can see the actual Hebrew and Greek words appear in that history?

I gather that this is on the "to do" list after all.

• 3 months later...
I gather that this is on the "to do" list after all.

I concur that this would be helpful. I often have to somewhat guess at which Hebrew word is in the history.

Archived