#1 Sean R.

Sean R.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Accordance Version:10.x

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:02 AM

I've had this happen several times before, but I just realized why.

Accordance makes it easy to display the contents of a Reference List in a Search pane via the CONTENTS command. When using this command to display the contents of a Reference List with a custom name ending with a period (.), Accordance returns the following error message:

"A close bracket ']' character is missing. Each open bracket '[' must be followed by a corresponding close bracket ']'."

I think this happens because a period (.) in a search string prompts Accordance to search for the character immediately following the period. When the character immediately following the period is an end bracket (])—which is used to close the search command—Accordance treats it as part of the search criteria rather than as the bracket to close the search command.

Honestly, I have this all clear in my mind even though the preceding paragraph is anything but coherent.

Here's an example:

The search "[CONTENTS Trinity Refs.]" returns the above error message. "[CONTENTS Trinity Refs]" does work, however, because the name of the Reference List does not end with a period. I've discovered the name of the Reference List can have a period and work fine with the CONTENTS command as long as the period is not the last character in the Reference List name.

I don't think this is actually a bug, but it is something to be aware of when naming Reference List panes (and other panes that will be linked to a search pane with one of the linking commands—CONTENTS, LINK, HITS, and MERGE.
Sean Reed

#2 Helen Brown

Helen Brown

Mithril

• Admin
  • 8,034 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:06 AM

I think your analysis is correct, and it is not worth trying to program around this. It is the consequence of a relatively new feature (the single character search) combined with an old command.
Helen Brown
OakTree Software

#3 Sean R.

Sean R.

Gold

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 07:25 AM

I think your analysis is correct, and it is not worth trying to program around this. It is the consequence of a relatively new feature (the single character search) combined with an old command.

I don't think it is a genuine problem—just something of which to be aware. Most people probably will never encounter it (after all, who bothers using a period at the end of the name of a tab?).
Sean Reed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users