Bonehead question for a simple search

danzac

This is such a simple matter that I'm wondering if I've simply run into a problem.

I will be talking about Colwell's rule to my Greek class

The reason this happens is because it IS preceded by the article. The article is before logos. You need to set it to search by clause and possibly limit the number of words between theos and the article. For example:

theos@[noun masc nom sing] <NOT> <PRECEDED BY> <WITHIN 2 WORDS> ho

John 1:1 shows up in this search. HTH.

The reason this happens is because it IS preceded by the article. The article is before logos. You need to set it to search by clause and possibly limit the number of words between theos and the article. For example:

theos@[noun masc nom sing] <NOT> <PRECEDED BY> <WITHIN 2 WORDS> ho

John 1:1 shows up in this search. HTH.

I tried this before, and I just tried it again. Your exact search string is STILL returning incorrect results!

Look for instance at Matt 22:32. Part of my search results for the above string is the first 3 theos's in this sentence, but not the fourth one (with the article in brackets).

This is really bugging me. I've done more complex searches than this before. What is the problem here?

i've just checked with another colleague, same search results.

What we noticed is that the incorrect results seem to be verses with either brackets or italicized material in the verse

That's interesting.

If you use a Greek construct, the search results are correct. Here's how I would set up the construct.

post-413-1236788311_thumb.png

I also get incorrect results in this search - it appears that the italicized text (usu. OT quotes) and bracketed texts (variants?) are for some reason excluded from the parameters

Well at least I know I'm not going crazy! ;)

i'll send an email to Helen just in case she isn't following this thread

Also note that some occurrences of the article are tagged with two variant parsings reflecting two different understandings of its function (nominative or vocative). This occurs in Mark 15:34 (twice); Luke 18:11, 13; John 20:28. I emailed Helen about this yesterday, so hopefully she can give us an authoritative explanation!

Archived